none
Using Registration Free COM in Excel 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, I have been trying to build some cross functionality in Excel, so that Excel can talk to another program (a CAD program). The other program has it's own API and I want to implement those API calls in an Excel macro. However when I go to reference the DLL in Tools>References the DLL cannot be referenced. I tried building my own .NET Class library and making the assembly "COM Visible", so that Excel can reference it, however I don't have registry access on my PC so that won't work. Is there anyway that I can reference and use the API calls for this CAD program in Excel? The DLL in question is a .NET Class library (VB.NET).

I did see some resources online about using Registration Free COM that utilizes a manifest file to reference the DLL instead of the registry. However I don't know how to implement that in Excel. Any advice would be appreciated.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 11:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please visit the similar thread: Using .NET Excel Add-In with Registration-Free COM and the document: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165432.aspx

Excel.exe.manifest can be modified by office service packs/hotfixes. Modify the manifest might impact Excel greatly.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Celeste

Monday, October 17, 2016 8:11 AM
  • Hello, Thank you for the links. In my particular case though I am not using ClickOnce deployment, or Visual Studio. All I have access to is the Excel IDE. Would I still need to edit the Excel.exe manifest file to be able to reference my own .NET Class Libraries?
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 3:47 PM
  • Hi,
    Since your issues is complicated, I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!  
    Regards,
    Celeste
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:26 PM