Kernel Patch Protection in Windows x64

Question

• Hi!

Nowadays windows 7 x64 has something like Kernel Patch Protection, in theory it can secure our system from malware, but in facts ... it doesn't. Unfortunately it causes many problems for people who make antiviruses and internet security program, because they can't give us good level of safety without some Kernel modification....

How are you going to solve it?

Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:14 AM

All replies

• There are some mechanism and engine that been designed and there are some Windows API that Anti-Virus vendors could use to develop their products. Windows is designed in a way that help Anti-Virus companies to protect their users and they do have collabration with Microsoft in order to design and develop compatible version. Any feature or protection that added to Windows will fully support Anti-Virus companies and enhance user protection.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 12:10 PM
  • So.... could you give me some names of products which provide good security for 64bit ?
    Monday, October 17, 2011 4:07 PM
  • All Anti-Virus products that comes with Windows logo certify. For example for Windows 7 , consider Anti-Viruses or Internet Securities that have Windows 7 logo , they are provide good security for Windows 7 64Bit, you could see list of them at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus-partners/windows-7.aspx

For Windows 8 Develoepr Preview, it is pre-Beta, at this point it is recommended to use it build Windows Defender (Which is Anti-Virus +Anti-Spyware) but for future version you will see some other Anti-Virus that will be compatible with Windows 8 .

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:47 AM
  • I wish there was no way for antiviruses to mess with kernel. I saw so many BSOD's caused by antiviruses.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:19 AM
  • When this wouldn't be an answer to your question: why would you need this? You can intercept calls bypassing patch protection and that's why, sadly, 64-bit rootkits exist.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:46 PM