Anyone else having designer crashes? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed VS2010 Beta1 on a Windows Server 2003 VM. Whenever I try to create a new project of the Workflow types "Activity Library", "Flowchart Workflow Console Application" or "Sequential Workflow Console Application" the project loads and the designer surface is (partially) displayed, and about 5 seconds later, VS2010 crashes. I don't have the same problem with other project types (e.g. Windows Forms, or normal WPF apps), but the only workflow project type I can create without crashing is the "Activity Designer Library" type.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:02 PM

Answers

• Jim, Philip,  that's it.  We've got a bug we're tracking right now that is due to installation to a non-default directory causes all WF project types except Activity Desginer Library to fail. 

The good news is that this bug is fixed, the bad news is that the fix didn't make it in time for beta1. 

it seems like Philip's suggestion might be a viable workaround, as this is along the lines of the issue we needed to fix in the bug.

Thanks for reporting this and for providing the data.

matt
    Program Manager -- Modeling Platform and Tools http://blogs.msdn.com/mwinkle
    • Marked as answer by jimblust Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:16 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:02 PM

All replies

• Jim,

Could you provide a few more details on the setup of your VM (service pack / other software installed, etc).  We've done testing on that and we haven't seen the problem that you describe.  Is there any error message displayed for the crash?

If you want, feel free to drop me an email (mwinkle @ msft ).

Thanks,

matt
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Matt, I've sent you an email.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Hi
    I have the same. I get the same behavior on a windows2003 VM and on a Vista Business. It's a clean install. It's a windows 2003 with service pack 4.
    I've only downloaded the vs2010 beta installer.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:10 PM
  • Hi Jim

same problem on a Vista business install. not  a VM though.
    Tried restarting several times and  same behaviour occured.
    The same behaviour occured als when trying to create a console workflow app

Frits
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:34 PM
  • Folks,

please keep reporting details of crashes that you are seeing (along with the repro steps).  Also, it would be very helpful if you click the submit more details button when the crash dialog pops up.  This packages up a little bit of information we can look at to try to figure out what is going on.  We haven't seen this in our testing, so we'd really like to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,

matt
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Hi Matt
    I've also reported it as a bug with the id 458188. The bug contains more information.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:29 AM
  • I had the same problem and in my case I installed Visual Stuidio 2010 to a non-default location as my system disk is relatively small. The actual path for installation was therefore "c:\ddata\program files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0", where c:\ddata is a 500GB mounted drive. When running with "procmon" monitoring filesystem activity I noticed a failure reading the file "C:\ddata\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Addins\WorkflowDesigner\Microsoft.VisualStudio.WorkflowModel.Addin.dll" which does exist.

I therefore tried making a directory symbolic link from the default location using mklink in a command window running as administrator:

C:\Program Files (x86)>mklink /d "Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0" "c:\ddata\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0"

Now when I open the workflow designer Visual Studio behaves normally, allowing me to use the designer and add items from the toolbox as expected without crashing.

--philip.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:23 PM
  • In case this is a point in common, my installation is also to a non-default directory because I had a small C: drive. I had to move my Page File from C: to E: and also set the install directory to E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0 (or, at least, for the components that it would let me change the install target).
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:20 PM
  • Jim, Philip,  that's it.  We've got a bug we're tracking right now that is due to installation to a non-default directory causes all WF project types except Activity Desginer Library to fail. 

The good news is that this bug is fixed, the bad news is that the fix didn't make it in time for beta1. 

it seems like Philip's suggestion might be a viable workaround, as this is along the lines of the issue we needed to fix in the bug.

Thanks for reporting this and for providing the data.

matt
    • Marked as answer by jimblust Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:16 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:02 PM
  • MKLINK is only available in Vista and later, right? Oh well, it's only a VM, so we can blow it away and make a larger C: drive :)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Okay. Reinstalled in the default directory and now i'm able to test it out :) thanks for the pointer
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:27 AM