Dynamic data page navigation with titles RRS feed

• Question

• User-1657122598 posted

Hello!

I am trying to add to my dynamic data page a navigation header. I have in mind something as used for this forum:
      "Home / ASP.NET Forums / General ASP.NET / Data Scaffolding"

for my table structure:

"Home / Department '1' / Person 'John' / Adress 'NewStreet Vienna' "

so you see on one view, what are the parent nodes. How can I get the data for the history?
    I did not find a way until now.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:05 PM

Answers

• User-330204900 posted

if you put the route paths in the site map i.e. ~/Persons/List.aspx the shoudl give you what you want.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 5:31 AM

All replies

• User-330204900 posted

Hi Stefan, are you talking about the bread crumb at the top of th page or the menu? either way you will need to use some navigation and a sitmap for Web Forms and Dynamic Data if you set the sitmap file up correctly with te URLs of each page then when you go t that page the bread crumb will display correctly

Friday, January 31, 2014 5:34 AM
  • User-1657122598 posted

Thanks for the tip! I am talking about bread crumb.

I added the SitemapPath which shows now all table names and the navigation hierarchy. I also set in my Site.Master the SiteMapResolve event, so I can interact
    when the current node is changed. With the event argument SiteMapResolveEventArgs I can parse the Id and type of the current object.

How can I access the displayed object itself, for getting the properties I whould like to display in the sitemap? Is there access to the current objects? I only find the MetaTable for
    current meta data.

Sunday, February 2, 2014 1:17 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

if you put the route paths in the site map i.e. ~/Persons/List.aspx the shoudl give you what you want.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 5:31 AM
  • User-1657122598 posted

Hy. I am til now confused about the relation of MetaModel/MetaTable on the one side and the object context on the other side.
    I know that in some magic way the Page/Entity/Field templates get the data out of the model. But I dont understand the concept.
    Also it seems that the data has its own life cycle. For this reason its hard for me to finish the task. Is there any good online documentation
    or literature about this process? I googled and read the forum but I did not find any.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:15 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

hi Stefan, there is but it's old and a little outof date see my blog for a post the list all the online vidios

Dynamic Data videos on ASP.Net Learn site

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:24 AM
  • User-1657122598 posted

You are right. For documentation:

* I took the MetaDataSiteMapProvider from your blog and added it to my Site.Master page.
    * I extended the Provider for a RouteValueDictionary.
    * On Page_Load I assigned the RouteValueDictionary to the Provider.
    * In the BuildSiteMap I updated the titles (taking care of recursions).

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:06 PM