Cannot restore AdventureWorksDW2008Big bak file to SQL Server 2014 Express RRS feed

• Question

• H,

I've just downloaded AdventureWorksDW2008Big from Microsoft link to follow some tutorials and learn.  As a beginner I've installed SQL Server 2014 Express edition (as I presume this is what Express edition is for, for beginners and learners).  So I've downloaded the above sample database but getting the following error message:

"...Database AdventureWorks cannot be started in this edition of SQL Server because it contains a partion function "TransactionRangePFD1'. Only Enterpise edition of SQL Server supports partitioning...."

What is the point creating sample databases for learners if only can run on Enterpise editions for professionals?

Can anyone please suggest if there is a workaround this problem as after spending half hour on-line couldn't find the solution?

Thanks

Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:01 PM

Answers

• I mean what is the point of including the words "ideal for learning", well it is'nt is it?

It depends what you want to learn.  SQL Server Express and the regular AdventureWorks2014 database you found is good for learning basic SQL Server features.  The AdventureWorksDW2008Big database adds to that with other features you may want to play with, but those are only available in higher editions.

Can you please confirm that I can have 2 versions on the same machine?

Yes, you can install multiple instance of SQL Server side-by-side.  Each can be a different version and/or edition.  With multiple instances, a single "default" instance is allowed and other instances must be "named".  Specify either the default instance or a unique instance name during installation.  Your existing Express edition instance is probably named SQLEXPRESS.

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

• Marked as answer by Alex Teslin Thursday, November 5, 2015 1:35 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:43 PM
  • I just found another sample copy from the following link: Adventure Works 2014 Full Database Backup.

Downloaded and restored with no error messages. The database works as usual.

The link is one from CodePlex projects.

• Marked as answer by Alex Teslin Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:35 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:33 PM

All replies

• "...Database AdventureWorks cannot be started in this edition of SQL Server because it contains a partion function "TransactionRangePFD1'. Only Enterpise edition of SQL Server supports partitioning...."

What is the point creating sample databases for learners if only can run on Enterpise editions for professionals?

Can anyone please suggest if there is a workaround this problem as after spending half hour on-line couldn't find the solution?

Developer Edition has all the features as Enterprise Edition but is licensed only for development and testing.  DE is included with certain MSDN subscription levels or can be purchased separately for a nominal cost (something like 50 USD).  If Developer Edition isn't an option, you can use the Enterprise Evaluation edition, which is good for 180 days.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:15 PM
  • Thank you Dan,

I thought that there would be no simple solution.  I've checked the developer edition and yes, it is affordable.  Also, next to it was Express edition where it said: "Entry-level, free database that is ideal for learning and building desktop and small server data-driven applications of up to 10 GB."

I mean what is the point of including the words "ideal for learning", well it is'nt is it?

As you've suggested I will install the Enterpise version as well and hope they should work fine side-by-side.

Thanks again

Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:22 PM
  • I just found another sample copy from the following link: Adventure Works 2014 Full Database Backup.

Downloaded and restored with no error messages. The database works as usual.

The link is one from CodePlex projects.

• Marked as answer by Alex Teslin Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:35 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:33 PM
  • I mean what is the point of including the words "ideal for learning", well it is'nt is it?

It depends what you want to learn.  SQL Server Express and the regular AdventureWorks2014 database you found is good for learning basic SQL Server features.  The AdventureWorksDW2008Big database adds to that with other features you may want to play with, but those are only available in higher editions.

Yes, you can install multiple instance of SQL Server side-by-side.  Each can be a different version and/or edition.  With multiple instances, a single "default" instance is allowed and other instances must be "named".  Specify either the default instance or a unique instance name during installation.  Your existing Express edition instance is probably named SQLEXPRESS.

• Marked as answer by Alex Teslin Thursday, November 5, 2015 1:35 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:43 PM
  • Thanks again for your reply.

Ok, now it makes sense that there are 2 different sample versions.  The only thing is that I've spend half an hour binging and found nothing about this.  I think this should be more clearer on download sites.

For now I think the Express version will suffice with the simpler version of the sample db.

Thanks again

Thursday, November 5, 2015 1:35 PM