Generate Word Documents server-side RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen several posts talking about the same thing but couldn't get enough information to decide. Basically my requirement is that I have to generate word & pdf versions of documents on the server side. These will be generated on the fly by merging several templates, inserting some charts and images, populating data from a database and create a table on contents. Based on what I've explored my options seem to be
    1. Use VSTO with data islands, although I've not really looked in-depth into it to see if it is possible to merge several templates with this option.
    2. Use WordML, though it seems a little too much XML work and I have absolutely no idea how I can generate a TOC in WordML.
    3. Use third party tools.
    I'm looking up the WordML and VSTO documentation but cannot really get a feel for whether the things I want to are possible or not. Maybe I need to do a proof of concept example to see if it works. But I'd love to get some feedback and starting points.
    The development environment is .NET 2.0 and Office 2003.

Monday, March 26, 2007 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hi.

VSTO does not support merging of Word templates.  Also, our server model does not support the addition/removal or manipulation of the Office UI components.  In your scenario, I do not believe that VSTO will be very helpful.  WordML may be the way to go for you.

Thanks

Mohit.

Monday, March 26, 2007 10:45 PM