none
Opening data sources causes VS 2015 to crash since I updates to Update 1

Answers

All replies

• Hi rossman308,

Where did you open the data sources, in the Server exploer window or ohters?

As you said that it has this issue after you install the update 1, do you mean that it worked well without the update 1?

Maybe you could restart your machine, repair your VS2015 update 1, test it again.

If you get this issue in the VS server explorer windows, please remove and re-add the data source, and then re-connect it again. Please also check that whether it has one update for the SSDT in your Extension and update windows in your VS under Tools menu, if it has the update package, please install them, check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 8:14 AM
  • I tried restarting VS to no avail. I  think one of  the datasourcs is corrupt  in the particular project now.

thx

Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:52 PM
  • I tried restarting VS to no avail. I  think one of  the datasourcs is corrupt  in the particular project now.

thx

Hi rossman308,

If the datasources is corrupt, maybe you could create a new one.

Do you resolve this issue now? What about this issue now? Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

Thanks,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, December 11, 2015 10:10 AM
  • The project still compiles OK I noticed that when I add another data source the program appends a “1” at the end. So, if I tried to add tbl_Customer the datasources becomes tbl_Customer1 like there was already a tbl_customer.

I will try and delete all of the datasources and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for staying on top of this issue.

Friday, December 11, 2015 1:39 PM
  • You are welcome, rossman308!

If you get any latest information, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Jack

Monday, December 14, 2015 5:28 AM
  • Opening data sources causes VS 2015 to crash since I updates to Update 1

I had a similar problem, which I did manage to hunt down to the following issue: When the class has a reference to it self the datasources window crashes VS.

You can check the steps to reproduce here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34478809/visual-studio-crashes-when-opening-datasources

Sunday, December 27, 2015 9:11 AM
  • Hi AntaraNSi,

Since this thread was closed for a few days, and you know that maybe there are different reasons which would generate the crashed issue, would you mind opening a new case in our forum? We will follow up your issue as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Jack

Monday, December 28, 2015 2:10 AM
  • That sounds like a good place to start,

Thanks

Monday, December 28, 2015 1:03 PM
  • I have the same problem.

Monday, December 28, 2015 4:29 PM
  • I have the same problem.

Friday, January 01, 2016 10:45 AM
  • I have this same issue. My data source is not self-referencing, though. Trying to expand it in the DataSources window crashes VS.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:25 AM
  • I have same problem with entity framework 6 in win Form. my visual studio is 2015 Update 1 community edition . I want to use data binding with object data sources, but when I add any entity that has a reference to an other and contains a navigation property, (and choosing a form in design view) visual studio crashes and automatically restart. by deleting this navigation property, every thing is OK! why this happens? and what is the solution?
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:53 AM
  • Same problem here.  When I try to access data sources during design view VS2015 crashes and restarts.  Worked fine until I installed VS2015 Update 1.  Then it broke.  May data sources are good; I have confirmed with code & MSSQL Data Tools.  Is this a known issue that MS is working on?
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 8:23 PM
  • I have the same issue.
    MS VS Professional 2015, Version 14.0.24720.00 Update 1

I can click on the Data Sources Tab while seeing the code of my Form, but then going into Design View, or opening the Data Sources tab during Design View immediately crashes VS.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 12:38 PM
  • Same problem here.  When I try to access data sources during design view VS2015 crashes and restarts.  Worked fine until I installed VS2015 Update 1.  Then it broke.  May data sources are good; I have confirmed with code & MSSQL Data Tools.  Is this a known issue that MS is working on?

but now I am using VS 2013 it is working correct with Data sources.  and uninstalled VS2015 due to this problem with data sources. 

Sunday, April 03, 2016 4:07 PM
  • I also had the same issue, vs2015 sp1, I was playing around with my data source for a bit and the issue seemed to occur for entities with one to many relationships for example if I had some object

public class Parent{

public string someParentProperty{get;set;}

public List<child> children{get;set}

}

public class Child{

public string someChildProperty{get;set;}

}

Creating a datasource to Parent would crash vs2015, (it would work fine in vs2013, or it would work fine after removing the child reference public List<child> children{get;set;})

I believe there is a fix coming, I just downloaded the update 2 release candidate for vs2015 and this issue is fixed, at least for my purposes.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/update2-prereleases#AdditionalPageSections_22

If that's an option for you you can try upgrading.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 7:59 PM
  • In my case the problem was caused because one of the datasources was defined using a generic type. Once this type was changed, the problem disappeared.
    Friday, April 15, 2016 8:41 AM