none
Trouble extending USB 3.0 cable RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to extend the reach of the Kinect v2's USB cable. I purchased two different 5m USB 3.0 active cables from Amazon (Cable Matters and Sabrent versions) along with their power supplies and neither of them have worked; when testing both the Kinect Configuration Verifier is unable to detect the Kinect.

Is it possible to extend the length of the USB 3.0 cable somehow? Having the Kinect be within 5' of the controlling PC is pretty limiting.

Monday, October 13, 2014 2:07 PM

All replies

• Officially we don't support USB3 extenders, this is not something tested in the product development. Depending on the distances, you may need to look into networking options or more expensive USB3 devices. This is discussed in more detail on this thread:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e26857b1-8319-4598-9d90-e6e63b3578d6/extension-cable-for-v2?forum=kinectv2sdk

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, October 13, 2014 5:47 PM
  • Hmmm that solution is pretty steep... but at least there is an option. Is this anywhere in the development timeline?
    Monday, October 13, 2014 7:16 PM
  • The design and length of cables that come with the Kinect for Windows is the only certified cabling.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:49 PM
  • I am using the Accell UltraRun USB 3.0 Type A to B SuperSpeed Long Length Cable (6m) -> http://amzn.com/B004I1KKFM . It is working fine for me. Some people reported that the cable stopped working with the latest SDK, but I am not having issues with the latest (or any other) version of the SDK. 

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:18 AM
  • Im also using a 3m A/A passive cable (Amazon Basics) and a 5m A/B passive cable (don't know the manufacturer). Both are working fine but i also have a 5m active A/A cable (CSL) which is not working. I think you have to try some different cables.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 12:08 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Does the signal ever drop out? Any other issues with it?
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:18 PM
  • We had some signal drops with one machine but we are not sure if the extension cable causes the problem. We will also install a confirmed PCIe card. 
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Please check out our Newnex's USB 3.0 repeaters http://newnex.com/usb3_active_extension.php

There are active cables that extends USB 3.0 up to 16m and optical repeaters FireNEX-5000 extends up to 50m for Kinect v2. 

You can order those cables from amazon as well

Monday, June 8, 2015 7:27 PM
  • Hey Newnex, 

I wonder if your cables work with Kinect V2 XBOX with windows adapter, since Kinect V2 for Windows went out of production.

Have you tested with both kinect 2.0 versions? 

I know they are the same but we are having trouble finding kinect 2.0 for windows to sell in our country.

And we actually extended for 10m a kinect for windows with a ordinary active usb 3.0 extender, but couldnt with kinect 2.0 xbox with windows adapter, i know they are supposed to be eletronically the same, but...

Thank you

Monday, June 8, 2015 7:56 PM
  • Hi all,

Has anyone used these extenders successfully without any frame drops or with minimal frame drops? 
    I need to extend the USB3 cable for my Kinect One up to 15m. Any suggestions based on your experiences? Do the extenders introduce frame drops?

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Shakith
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:50 PM