none
Outlook 2007 Email form - couple of beginner's questions RRS feed

• Question

• Fairly experienced (non MS) developer with a couple of questions - would appreciate any quick pointers as I've not found the answers so far....

Outlook 2007

I've created an email form for our customer-facing account managers to fill in when they want to request some time from our technical resource team.  

The idea is that they fill in a couple of fields and hit "Send" - should be pretty straightforward but not being that familiar with Outlook I think I'm missing a couple of (probably simple) things:

*) If I add a standard "To" recipient field and hit "Send" then a blank email is sent - I want the form and entered values to be sent  (this is all internal email and we have shared forms libraries, etc if that makes any difference)

*) Once I have that working, I'd like the To/cc/Subject/etc values to be automatically populated and hidden from the user (initially these can be hard-coded to get it working, but a more dynamic solution based on data entered is the long-term aim). I just want a form that gets filled in and the user hits "Send".  So far I've not found a 'hook' to do this successfully.  I've tried creating the "To" field with my email address set as it's initial property, but it looks like Outlook is trying to send an email to an empty string rather than using the value.

Not looking for all this to be written for me but if someone could get me started I'm sure I can work it out - it's just a different environment to what I normally work in so having some problems getting into it.

P.S.  The company plans to move to Sharepoint/Outlook 365 over the next 18 months so any pointers on making this sort of form easy to move over would also be very-much welcome.

Friday, May 17, 2013 11:16 AM

Answers

• The best resource for forms development are the forms pages at www.outlookcode.com. That has pretty much everything you need, including examples.

However, forms design has been pretty much frozen since Outlook 97, the newer recommended customization method introduced in Outlook 2007 are form regions. You might want to look those up when you get a chance.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "gareth.e" <=?utf-8?B?Z2FyZXRoLmU=?=> wrote in message news:f2743917-06d2-4f51-b74f-83540cfc909e...

Fairly experienced (non MS) developer with a couple of questions - would appreciate any quick pointers as I've not found the answers so far....

Outlook 2007

I've created an email form for our customer-facing account managers to fill in when they want to request some time from our technical resource team.  

The idea is that they fill in a couple of fields and hit "Send" - should be pretty straightforward but not being that familiar with Outlook I think I'm missing a couple of (probably simple) things:

*) If I add a standard "To" recipient field and hit "Send" then a blank email is sent - I want the form and entered values to be sent  (this is all internal email and we have shared forms libraries, etc if that makes any difference)

*) Once I have that working, I'd like the To/cc/Subject/etc values to be automatically populated and hidden from the user (initially these can be hard-coded to get it working, but a more dynamic solution based on data entered is the long-term aim). I just want a form that gets filled in and the user hits "Send".  So far I've not found a 'hook' to do this successfully.  I've tried creating the "To" field with my email address set as it's initial property, but it looks like Outlook is trying to send an email to an empty string rather than using the value.

Not looking for all this to be written for me but if someone could get me started I'm sure I can work it out - it's just a different environment to what I normally work in so having some problems getting into it.

P.S.  The company plans to move to Sharepoint/Outlook 365 over the next 18 months so any pointers on making this sort of form easy to move over would also be very-much welcome.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, May 17, 2013 6:05 PM

All replies

• The best resource for forms development are the forms pages at www.outlookcode.com. That has pretty much everything you need, including examples.

However, forms design has been pretty much frozen since Outlook 97, the newer recommended customization method introduced in Outlook 2007 are form regions. You might want to look those up when you get a chance.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "gareth.e" <=?utf-8?B?Z2FyZXRoLmU=?=> wrote in message news:f2743917-06d2-4f51-b74f-83540cfc909e...

Fairly experienced (non MS) developer with a couple of questions - would appreciate any quick pointers as I've not found the answers so far....

Outlook 2007

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, May 17, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Thanks Ken, looks like a useful  resource :)
    Monday, May 20, 2013 9:08 AM