Blob Storage: Are there backups automatically created for containers in Azure Blob Storage? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm implementing Azure Blob Storage for a client project. Data must be HIPAA compliment so I really need to be able to assure the client that their data is safe and backed up.

With that said, is data automatically back-up in Azure Blob Storage?

If I upload a blob once, can I be secure in knowing that Microsoft backs up data on Azure Blob Storage and that I will not ever lose that data due to hard drive failure, hacking, etc.

Saturday, December 2, 2017 12:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Bret, 

Azure will always keep 3 copies of your data to ensure that you are resilient. You can read about this process at this link: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-redundancy

This being said, the data that is replicated is 3 EXACT copies of each other. This means that if you were to corrupt that first copy the others would be corrupted as well. The idea of this data replication is to ensure that if Azure were to lose a data rack or a data center your data would still be alive in another region. 

So data replication is different from data backup. Data backup is something you can implement through Azure which keeps copies of your data at certain points from when you can restore from. 

Does that make sense? 

-Micah

Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:03 AM

All replies