none
Contact Unique Id is not Unique RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the EWS API to retrieve users contacts and load them into a table.  I thought I could use the Unique ID of the contact as the unique index for the table.  Then I would use the ChangeKey to see if the contact has been updated, if so then update the table.  But when debugging my application I realized that it was trying to update different contacts because the Unique Id was the same. 

So my question is, why isn't the UniqueId unique?  Or am I missing something?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
    Adam
    Friday, April 24, 2009 8:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Adam,

In EWS, ItemIds are case-sensitive. For example, EWS would consider "Abcdef..." different than "abcdef..." -- although a typical database (which uses case-insensitive comparison) would consider these two values equal.  Is this possibly the issue you're running into?

Regards,
    Kim Brandl
    Programming Writer, Microsoft Exchange Developer Documentation Team
    • Marked as answer by jonesab Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:56 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 11:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Adam,

In EWS, ItemIds are case-sensitive. For example, EWS would consider "Abcdef..." different than "abcdef..." -- although a typical database (which uses case-insensitive comparison) would consider these two values equal.  Is this possibly the issue you're running into?

Regards,
    Kim Brandl
    Programming Writer, Microsoft Exchange Developer Documentation Team
    • Marked as answer by jonesab Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:56 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 11:07 PM
  • You're absolutely right Kim.  That never crossed my mind.  I had even put two IDs next to each other and manually compared them, but apparently my eyes were using a case-insensitive comparison as well.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:56 PM