Network Loopback, Metro app server & Deskop app client

Question

• Hi,

so basically my scenario is:

Metro application acts as a server, and Desktop application acts as client, this is purely for internal testing, I won't publish such app on Windows Store. Both apps are running on same machine

I did check that checkbox - Allow Local Network Loopback is selected, while launching Metro app via Visual Studio.

But I still can't connect to Metro app from Desktop app. Is this another restriction ? Or maybe I have whitelist desktop app somehow?

Note: when launching Metro app on tablet or running it on other PC, I can connect to Metro app server from Desktop app client, so what could be wrong?

Saturday, March 02, 2013 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Tomas,

There are many posts on this forum relating to IPC between Metro-style applications and desktop apps.  The ability for IPC during development is included as a development feature, but any applicatino which attempts IPC via loopback will be rejected during Store submission.  There is no workaround.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Thursday, March 07, 2013 2:09 AM
    Monday, March 04, 2013 3:21 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

This scenario is not supported. There are a number of reasons why it wouldn't work, but I don't have a full catalog. My first guess is that your Windows Store app has suspended, which will prevent the desktop app from contacting it even with the loopback restriction disabled. You can check that in Task Manager, although if you're running the app under the debugger then suspension is generally disabled.

--Rob

Monday, March 04, 2013 8:35 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Tomas,

There are many posts on this forum relating to IPC between Metro-style applications and desktop apps.  The ability for IPC during development is included as a development feature, but any applicatino which attempts IPC via loopback will be rejected during Store submission.  There is no workaround.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 04, 2013 3:21 AM
  • So basically you're saying that this scenario should work, hmph. I'll keep looking then...
    Monday, March 04, 2013 6:19 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

This scenario is not supported. There are a number of reasons why it wouldn't work, but I don't have a full catalog. My first guess is that your Windows Store app has suspended, which will prevent the desktop app from contacting it even with the loopback restriction disabled. You can check that in Task Manager, although if you're running the app under the debugger then suspension is generally disabled.

--Rob

Monday, March 04, 2013 8:35 PM
    Owner
  • Hey Rob,

so yeah, with Network Loopback enabled, and running Metro player with VisualStudio's debugger, the scenario, Metro Server and Desktop Client on the same machine doesn't work, and StreamSocketListener::ConnectionReceived is never called.

Scenario, when running Metro Server on one machine and Desktop client on other machine, works - StreamSocketListener::ConnectionReceived  gets called correctly.

That's quite unfortunate... Also the documentation is not clear regarding this topic.

So here all the scenario I've tested:

* PC1 Metro Server <-> PC1 Desktop Client - doesn't work

* PC1 Metro Server <-> PC2 Desktop Client - works

* Tablet Metro Server <-> PC Desktop Client - works

Anyways, thanks.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:53 AM