PDF Documents RRS feed

• Question

• I am a self-taught beginner in Microsoft Expression Web 4.

At the beginning, I found that attaching PDF's to my page was easy and it worked well.

Now all of the sudden, once I publish my changes, the PDF's won't open on my website. Either absolutely nothing changes when I hit the link, or it will take me to an error page.

I have tried so many different things and have read so many different Help Forums. Nothing is working and I am growing increasingly frustrated.

Any suggestions for me?

Friday, April 1, 2016 3:45 PM

All replies

• Post a link to said site so someone can take a look.

That said, you did "publish" the pdf files right?

Expression Web MVP

Friday, April 1, 2016 7:37 PM
  • In addition to giving us a link to a page that shows the problem you are describing (and clearly telling us where to look), please realize that "I have tried so many different things" doesn't actually tell us anything.  We can't give you any advice that you haven't already tried unless we know what you have already tried.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

Saturday, April 2, 2016 12:50 AM
  • Specifying the actual error would have assisted us helping you, but I think the error is probably something like "Cannot open file" or "File not found".

Either (1) you haven't published the actual PDF files, or (2) there could be other issues, such as spaces in file names, which are known to break links (causing things not to load or open).

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)

Sunday, April 3, 2016 5:16 AM
  • Thank you for your response!

http://www.michigandutchbarns.com/Metal%20Gable%20Features.htm

Above is just one of the links that I'm having issues with. If you scroll down towards the bottom of the page and try to select "Choice of Colors" nothing happens.

I have done the following things to try and correct this issue:

• View the page in different browsers (Firefox, Explorer, & Chrome)
    • Created the PDF in many different programs (Adobe PDF, Foxit Reader PDF Printer, Microsoft XPS Document Writer, & Primo PDF)
    • Importing the PDF into Expression Web
    • Copying and Pasting the PDF into Expression Web
    • Dragging the PDF into Expression Web
    • Titling the PDF (not within Expression web) without any capital letters, punctuation, or symbols
    • Comparing and Contrasting the broken PDF's with ones that do work to find discrepancies.

So far that is what I can remember trying to do to fix it. Do you know what I could be missing?

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 7:41 PM
  • Well, the link on the page for that PDF is

file:///P:/Company%20Data%20and%20Files/Web%20Files/michigandutchbarns.com%20copy/images/Pole%20Barns%20and%20Garages/MetalColorOptions.pdf

That is obviously wrong, and will never work. Put the PDF file into your site, then link to it. And, as mentioned already, be sure to publish the PDF file as well as your updated page.

'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. Thomas Paine

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 10:02 PM
  • This was an easy problem to find.  You should become familiar with using Code View (or Split View), and looking at the HTML you are creating.  A simple examination of the link to the PDF would have shown you that it would never work published to the web.  It needs to be a web link, not a file link, and a link relative to your site, not one that starts outside your site directory.

Your links should be correct if you are consistently using EW correctly:  Open EW, then use the site menu to open your local copy of your site, then open a page to edit it.  Import your PDF into your site, then create the link to it and save the page.  Links EW creates when it knows it is working in a site will be related to the site, not to the file system.

Kathleen Wilber

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 11:12 PM
  • Will do. I had been following the steps below to attach the PDF's to the website...

• right clicking in the space where I wanted the link to the PDF
    • hitting "hyperlink" at the bottom
    • then following the path within EW to get to my PDF
    • Saving it and then Publishing it

But instead, you're saying to...

• Import the PDF into EW
    • Publish changes
    • Then insert the PDF's "Full Path" into the Hyperlink Address box

But I just tried that and it didn't work either. Sorry for the slow progress on my end. I pretty much need step by step instructions. The link below is what I have been trying to follow.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg721758(v=expression.40).aspx
    • Edited by Nedster321 Friday, April 8, 2016 1:50 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 1:26 PM
  • No, I am not saying to publish changes and then insert the PDF's full path into the hyperlink address bar.

You publish changes (and that includes publishing the PDF) once you've tested everything locally using Preview in Browser, and things are working.

Import the PDF into your site.  Make a link to that PDF where it resides inside your site.  You can just drag it onto your page from the Folder List panel to do that, if you like.  Or, if you insert a hyperlink to it, you select the copy of the PDF in your site, in the hyperlink wizard.  Save the page, and the link will be correct.

And do work in Split View and watch the HTML that is created.  You need to know HTML and CSS to use EW, and it should be obvious to you if the link is correct, or not.  (Heck, you can just type the link markup directly in Code View if you want.)

Kathleen Wilber

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, April 8, 2016 5:41 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 5:39 PM