Pinning tiles across apps

Question

• I am working on a requirement , for which I need to pin an app to the hubscreen of another app.

Can anyone guide me with this.

Monday, September 29, 2014 9:13 AM

Answers

• I fear you won't be able to directly interfere with arbitrary Apps in that way. Also Apps can not detect which other Apps are installed on the phone.

If both Apps are being done by you something similar might be achieved in this way:

Both Apps implement a launch URI. The App that contains the Hub-View would be notified by the other App using a Launch URI parameter that the other App is installed and wants to be visible in the Hub. It would then add the entry. The Hub-App could then in the future launch the second App by using the second App's launch URI.

Monday, September 29, 2014 11:58 AM
  • The only way I can think of doing this effectively is to have App A and B register on an external server with some ANID(device or user) to lock the two installs and the user together.

When the apps launch, they call your server and you note the UserID/DeviceID and the appID.  The app then queries for all apps by that user or device ID.

If appB detects app A, it puts the tile in the hub.  Same goes for the reverse.

Darin R.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:54 PM

All replies

• I fear you won't be able to directly interfere with arbitrary Apps in that way. Also Apps can not detect which other Apps are installed on the phone.

If both Apps are being done by you something similar might be achieved in this way:

Both Apps implement a launch URI. The App that contains the Hub-View would be notified by the other App using a Launch URI parameter that the other App is installed and wants to be visible in the Hub. It would then add the entry. The Hub-App could then in the future launch the second App by using the second App's launch URI.

Monday, September 29, 2014 11:58 AM
  • The only way I can think of doing this effectively is to have App A and B register on an external server with some ANID(device or user) to lock the two installs and the user together.

When the apps launch, they call your server and you note the UserID/DeviceID and the appID.  The app then queries for all apps by that user or device ID.

If appB detects app A, it puts the tile in the hub.  Same goes for the reverse.

Darin R.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:54 PM