none
Run an Access database form cloud/Office 365/Sharepoint, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an Access 2013 database that compares products.  There are several forms with several ways of comparing these products.  It is about 32Kb in size.  

What we'd like is to be able to run the thing without the user having to load it onto their local computer.

Does anyone have the best way to do this, without converting it to SQL or HTML or anything else.  I'd like to keep it as an Access database because I'd like to retain ownership for various reasons.

I put it on our Sharepoint, but when clicked it downloads it to the users local...is there a way to stop that so it just runs from Sharepoint?

What about Office 365? Can I run an Access db from there?

We have our own Cloud, what about that?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Gee

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 5:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Gee,

>> have one form where you choose up to 5 Brands, then choose a Product for each of those brands from a drop down list that populates when you choose the Brand, the a bunch of product info that populates when you choose a product.  The you have either a pdf style report or an export to Excel report.<<

Everything seems ok in Access 2013 web app except the report. When we create a Access 2013 web application, we usual use Excel to create the report for the Access 2013 web app. You can refer to link below for more detail about this topic:
    Visualize your Access 2013 web app data in Excel

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by GretaF Monday, November 9, 2015 4:45 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Gee,

Unfortunately, Access is a desktop application, which means the user needs to install it on their desktop to use it. If you want to run a database in the cloud, you'll need a cloud application. Access 2013 does offer a web version for a database, but it requires SharePoint 2013 or Office 365. Otherwise, the only other option that might be applicable to you is remote desktop or terminal services.

Just my 2 cents...

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:19 PM
  • We've got both SharePoint 2013 and Office 365.

Like I said, when I put it on Sharepoint, it just loads it onto the local when it's clicked.

If the user has Access installed on their local, can they run an actual database from 365 or SharePoint without loading that particular database onto their local?

Gee

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:21 PM
  • Hi Gee. No, they can't. Since it's a desktop application, the users will have to run the database from their desktop. As I said earlier, Access 2013, together with SharePoint 2013 with Access Services enabled or Office 365, offers a web version of a database application. If you created your database application as a desktop version, you cannot convert it to a web version. To create a web version (or web app), you'll have to start from scratch. Otherwise, storing a desktop app in SharePoint just allows the users to download it to their desktop but not run it from the Internet. Hope that makes sense...

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:59 PM
  • Hi Gee,

What kind of data are you developing? As far as I know, there are two kind of database in Access 2013, client database and Access 2013 web app.

The Access 2013 web app model that enables subject matter experts to quickly create web-based applications. Included with Access are a set of templates that you can use to jump start creating your application.

There is no way we can convert the client database to a Access 2013 web app. However, we can import the table from Access client database and to create a new Access 2013 web app.

Here is an helpful link about Access 2013 web app for your reference:
    How to: Create and customize a web app in Access

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 6:55 AM
  • Does anyone know what kind of db can be run?

It looks like it might not be very robust.

I have one form where you choose up to 5 Brands, then choose a Product for each of those brands from a drop down list that populates when you choose the Brand, the a bunch of product info that populates when you choose a product.  The you have either a pdf style report or an export to Excel report.

Can the web based Access do all of this?  Run those queries?

Gee

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:57 PM
  • Hi Gee,

>> have one form where you choose up to 5 Brands, then choose a Product for each of those brands from a drop down list that populates when you choose the Brand, the a bunch of product info that populates when you choose a product.  The you have either a pdf style report or an export to Excel report.<<

Everything seems ok in Access 2013 web app except the report. When we create a Access 2013 web application, we usual use Excel to create the report for the Access 2013 web app. You can refer to link below for more detail about this topic:
    Visualize your Access 2013 web app data in Excel

Regards & Fei

• Marked as answer by GretaF Monday, November 9, 2015 4:45 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:56 AM
  • Ok, great! 

It looks like we'll be doing that then. 

Lucky me, a whole new thing to learn.

Anyone have any ideas on the best place to learn Access Web App?

Is there a good, easy way to convert?

Thanks!

Gee

Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:25 PM
  • Anyone have any ideas on the best place to learn Access Web App?

I could recommend this book: Professional Access 2013 Programming.
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:03 PM
  • Thank you, I will get that.

Very much appreciate your responses.

Gee

Monday, November 9, 2015 4:45 PM