none
Distributing Newer Version of Visual Basic Power Packs RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft provides various versions of VisualBasicPowerPacksSetup.exe, the installed DLL file name is always the same but depending on which package you have the DLL version can be ver 9.x, 10.x, 11.x.

I would like to distribute the 11.x version in place of an older 10.x version. The VisualBasicPowerPacksSetup.exe installer for the 10.x version has bugs. So basically this is just substituting a newer VisualBasicPowerPacksSetup.exe than the one provided with someone else's application.

Here is a description of a similar bug: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/950683/vcredist-from-vc-2008-installs-temporary-files-in-root-directory

• Edited by GTVic Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:48 PM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:47 PM

All replies

• So.... what is your question?

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Thursday, October 19, 2017 10:03 PM
  • Why are you distributing the setup.exe?

Do your users have Visual Studio and need to add the VB power pack to it?

Or does your application use a power pack control?

I dont see what the info in the link has to do with it?

PS Hi Razerz!

Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:32 PM
  • Hi GTVic,

Based on your description, you want to download VisualBasicPowerPacksSetup.exe 11.x version? Am I right?

By my search, I just find VisualBasicPowerPacksSetup.exe 12.x version on the official website of Microsoft, you can take a look and click download  them.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/visual-basic/developing-apps/windows-forms/power-packs-controls

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 20, 2017 6:29 AM
  • It is a third party application that I am re-packaging for installation on multiple computers in an enterprise environment. This application uses one or more controls from VBPP which is distributed via VisualBasicPowerPacksSetup.exe /Q as part of the overall application install. I simply wish to package a newer version of the VBPP DLL that doesn't have the bugs associated with the install.

The link shows a similar bug because I was sure someone would ask what the bug is. I guess MS created multiple installs with this same bug.

So is the newer VBPP DLL version backwards compatible for an app that was designed with/for an older version.

• Edited by GTVic Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:56 AM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:51 AM
  • Hi GTVic,

Yes, VisualBasicPowerPacksSetup.exe DLL file name is always the same, you can feedback this error in the following link:

https://connect.microsoft.com/continue.aspx?pageType=2&regType=2&cru=%2FVisualStudio%2Ffeedback%2FCreateFeedback.aspx&cu=

And another method is, you may need to download this DLL, and right-click this dll---select property--- you will see the description about this DLL, like this:

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:35 AM