How to Make the Charms Visible?

Question

• Sorry for the basic question, but on a desktop with keyboard and mouse (and no touch capability), how does one make the Charms show up on the right side?

-Noel

Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hello Noel,

I currently have 3 videos available for viewing showing how to get around the Metro UI in Windows 8 with your mouse and keyboard.  They can be viewed here:

http://www.helpdesktv.ca/w8/

Rudy

• Proposed as answer by Dylan-Meeus Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noel Carboni Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:40 PM
    • Edited by HelpDeskTV Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:32 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:40 PM

All replies

• Are you referring to the settings panel on the right side that has volume, power, etc?

Move the mouse to the bottom left of your screen - this will bring up a menu.

Click Settings.

Settings will appear on the right side.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:19 PM
  • You have two options:

• Move your mouse to the bottom left and click Settings.

or

• Press Win + C. 
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Thanks!

Thing is, I've not seen the "charms" since the demos at the keynote, so I'm not SURE what I'm really looking to make visible.  In several cases during the keynote there was a panel on the right edge where what were called "charms" were shown.

I don't have a Windows key on my keyboard, and Control-Esc-C does nothing useful I can see.

It's interesting...  Hovering at the lower-left works even though I've moved my Taskbar to the top where I like it.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:43 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:33 PM
  • If you have no Win key, than you need to follow the mouse version.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:36 PM
  • The "charms" is actually the menu that comes up if you hoover the new start button on the desktop.

On a touchscreen, you can bring these options up by swiping into the right side of the screen.

I have no idea how one can bring that up from within a metro application if you don't have touch.  I actually think it's not possible.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Hello Noel,

I currently have 3 videos available for viewing showing how to get around the Metro UI in Windows 8 with your mouse and keyboard.  They can be viewed here:

http://www.helpdesktv.ca/w8/

Rudy

• Proposed as answer by Dylan-Meeus Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noel Carboni Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:40 PM
    • Edited by HelpDeskTV Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:32 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:40 PM
  • Thank you very much, Rudy.  I wasn't aware of the Microsoft.Windows.Simulator application before now.

Beyond providing access to realistic tablet interaction, just seeing that there's a tablet simulator app is VERY encouraging.  I wonder why Microsoft hasn't mentioned this application.

-Noel

Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:40 PM