SQL Server 2017 Read-Scale AG On-Premise Primary with Azure SQL Replica RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to setup the new 2017 read-scale availability group from an on-premise primary to an azure sql database replica?  I can't find anything online about doing so.
    Saturday, June 9, 2018 3:52 AM

Answers

• Is that not possible without Azure VMs with SQL Server?  I want to keep it PaaS and not have to manage the VMs by using Azure SQL Database.  Would the Add Azure Replica work with an Azure SQL database?

Unfortunately, if you are stretching your on-prem AG to Azure, Azure VMs need to be configured as replicas. You would configure an Azure VM for a replica from the Add Azure replica wizard. 

The secondary replicas in Azure run as IaaS VMs. 

To know what High-Availability features are available for PaaS vs IaaS, see the Business Continuity section in the article below. You will see that AlwaysOn AG is mentioned under Azure VM.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-paas-vs-sql-server-iaas

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

• Proposed as answer by Xi Jin Monday, June 18, 2018 6:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Huzaifa Tapal Friday, June 22, 2018 2:48 PM
    Saturday, June 9, 2018 9:25 PM

All replies

• You should be able to configure an AG with replicas in Azure to support cross-site disaster recovery using Azure VMs. You need VPN connection b/w on-premises and Azure network. 

You can use Add Azure Replica Wizard in SSMS to achieve that. Rest of the configuration is pretty much same as on-prem.

More information can be found in the link below: (You can clearly see a screenshot with "Readable Secondary" set to "Yes" against an Azure secondary replica.)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sqlclassic/virtual-machines-windows-classic-sql-onprem-availability

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Saturday, June 9, 2018 10:53 AM
  • Is that not possible without Azure VMs with SQL Server?  I want to keep it PaaS and not have to manage the VMs by using Azure SQL Database.  Would the Add Azure Replica work with an Azure SQL database?
    Saturday, June 9, 2018 8:26 PM

Unfortunately, if you are stretching your on-prem AG to Azure, Azure VMs need to be configured as replicas. You would configure an Azure VM for a replica from the Add Azure replica wizard. 

The secondary replicas in Azure run as IaaS VMs. 

To know what High-Availability features are available for PaaS vs IaaS, see the Business Continuity section in the article below. You will see that AlwaysOn AG is mentioned under Azure VM.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-paas-vs-sql-server-iaas

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Xi Jin Monday, June 18, 2018 6:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Huzaifa Tapal Friday, June 22, 2018 2:48 PM
    Saturday, June 9, 2018 9:25 PM
  • Thank you this is very helpful
    Friday, June 22, 2018 2:48 PM