Launch Condition value of Multi String Registry RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I'm trying to get the value of a multi-string registry entry I created and use it in a Launch Condition check. Unfortunately according to this topic (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/thread/e0d50f9f-1ada-4cfe-9d1d-142411625d31 ) the only way to do that is with managed code in an installer class. Is this correct? Is it because the returned value for a multi-string registry entry starts and ends with a null (RegLocator table specs for MSI files)?

Has anyone ever created a Setup & Deployment Launch Condition that searches for a multi-string registry entry? An example would be great?

Thanks

Dweezil

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:06 PM

Answers

• Phil

This is true, I could use a file search. It will work for my installation. Thanks

Just so I don`t try this again in the future, of which I believe I won`t, is it possible to create a Custom Action Launch Condition Registry entry check on a multi-string subkey value?

Dweezil

Friday, June 15, 2012 5:25 PM

All replies

• Install Custom Actions in VS setup projects run only after all the files have been installed. Any solution that suggests running custom actions prior to that is not going to work. It's easy enough to test - write an install custom action that shows a message box and see when it gets shown.

Might there be another way to locate what you're looking for?

Phil Wilson

Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Phil

The registry entry i'm looking for will already exiist prior to me installing my application. I'm not trying to create the registry entry during my setup & deployment then verifing if it is there. I want the setup & deployment MSI for my application, I'm installing, to check for an already existing registry entry and return any value (other than null). I believe a custom launch condition actions, that searches registries, should be able to do this. As mentioned in my original post, the registry entry I'm checking is a multi-string value and as such always returns null which is the same as "FALSE".

Thanks

Dweezil

Friday, June 15, 2012 11:41 AM
  • I understand, but there are other searches that might be able to detect what youi're looking for, file searches, windows component searches. I assume the registry key is a marker for something that has been installed and there are other things on the system also?

Phil Wilson

• Proposed as answer by Bob Wu-MT Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:16 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Phil

This is true, I could use a file search. It will work for my installation. Thanks

Just so I don`t try this again in the future, of which I believe I won`t, is it possible to create a Custom Action Launch Condition Registry entry check on a multi-string subkey value?

Dweezil

Friday, June 15, 2012 5:25 PM
  • Phil

Dweezil

You can search for them and set a property in the usual way (the internals are in the RegLocator table here):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa371171(v=vs.85).aspx

but I can't see any way to use that in a launch condition because the string starts with a null. The search has some use if you want to pass the property into a custom action later on where code can parse it.

Phil Wilson

• Proposed as answer by Bob Wu-MT Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:16 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 7:24 PM