reseting a password RRS feed

• Question

• I know this sounds simple - but I can't find it any where and have been looking for days.  I need to simply reset a database user password.  it is the db_owner of a database and is in "without login".  I have sql management studio express.  Any help will be much appreciated!!!
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:06 PM

Answers

• A database user without a login does not have a password so there is no password to reset.  But what do you mean exactly by "the db_owner of the database"?  Are you saying the user is a db_owner role member?  If you still need help, execute the statement below in the database and post the results (change to specify the user in question):

EXEC sp_helpuser 'MyUser'

--
    Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
    SQL Server MVP
    http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang /
    "treynihols333" wrote in message news:f227f551-0894-428 c-93de-b237b9b5cd7a...
    I know this sounds simple - but I can't find it any where and have been looking for days.  I need to simply reset a database user password.  it is the db_owner of a database and is in "without login".  I have sql management studio express.  Any help will be much appreciated!!!
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:25 AM
  • I just wanted to verify that this user is a db_owner role member, not the database owner (the login that owns the database).  Again, there is no password since there is no login.

How do you intend to use this user within your application?  A database principal without a login cannot login to the server so no password is needed.  The user is only valid for EXECUTE AS and authorization within the current database context.

--
    Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
    SQL Server MVP
    "treynihols333" wrote in message news:9446f1ab-6585-438 b-adc0-8787d976345a...
    Here are the results...
    salesDBowner db_owner NULL NULL dbo&nbs p;5          0x1E88C3C63253AB4DAD61EE63B358266F

this is the user set-up for access to the DB from my asp.net application

it's under databases > 'db name' > security > users >

thanks for your help...
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:21 AM

All replies

• A database user without a login does not have a password so there is no password to reset.  But what do you mean exactly by "the db_owner of the database"?  Are you saying the user is a db_owner role member?  If you still need help, execute the statement below in the database and post the results (change to specify the user in question):

EXEC sp_helpuser 'MyUser'

--
    Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
    SQL Server MVP
    "treynihols333" wrote in message news:f227f551-0894-428 c-93de-b237b9b5cd7a...
    I know this sounds simple - but I can't find it any where and have been looking for days.  I need to simply reset a database user password.  it is the db_owner of a database and is in "without login".  I have sql management studio express.  Any help will be much appreciated!!!
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:25 AM
  • Here are the results...
    salesDBowner db_owner NULL NULL dbo 5          0x1E88C3C63253AB4DAD61EE63B358266F

thanks for your help...
    Monday, July 27, 2009 1:31 PM
  • I just wanted to verify that this user is a db_owner role member, not the database owner (the login that owns the database).  Again, there is no password since there is no login.

How do you intend to use this user within your application?  A database principal without a login cannot login to the server so no password is needed.  The user is only valid for EXECUTE AS and authorization within the current database context.

--
    Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
    SQL Server MVP
    "treynihols333" wrote in message news:9446f1ab-6585-438 b-adc0-8787d976345a...
    Here are the results...
    salesDBowner db_owner NULL NULL dbo&nbs p;5          0x1E88C3C63253AB4DAD61EE63B358266F

thanks for your help...
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:21 AM