none
Bug Found - input box enters data into cell in wrong worksheet/window RRS feed

• Question

• I guess my question is can this get fixed.

I found a bug (and it is repeatable) while using Microsoft Excel 2013 (FYI tested 2007 and it does NOT happen and tested 2016 and it DOES happen) with 2 windows open and the Find window open.  

So I do a search/find in 1 workbook (let's call it workbook A) then click the cell entry box of the other workbook (workbook B) (do not explicitly switch to or otherwise 'activate' that workbook B) and then when I enter the information on that cell entry box of workbook B it shows up on the found cell in workbook A NOT workbook B.

Obvious work-around is to making sure I click on Workbook B to activate it and then click on the cell entry box.  But I keep making that mistake getting crazy entries here and there.   I tried opening multiple instances of Excel because I saw a reference to that re: another bug, but it didn't work here or I don't know how to force that to happen correctly.  But this is really annoying behavior, any chance it can be fixed?  Thank you.

• Edited by DoctorMoshe Wednesday, April 6, 2016 9:01 PM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2016 8:19 PM

Answers

• Hi, DoctorMoshe

>> Now I understand correctly how you are working and I have reproduce the same behavior of excel on my side.

>> it seems that it is bug and not activate the worksheet B when we directly click on formula bar when the Find window is open in workbook A.

>> so you can provide a feedback regarding this issue to Excel User voice.

I have mentioned a link below to give feedback. kindly visit the link.

Excel User Voice

Regards

Deepak 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 11, 2016 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi, DoctorMoshe

Here I make a test with Excel 2013 and Excel 2016

>>As you said I open 2 Excel windows.

>> Then I enter some data in Workbook A

>> Then I open Find Window and try to find data that I have entered.

>> then by pressing Alt + Tab key I switched to Workbook B.

>> then I try to enter data in a cell (I input that data that is already available in workbook A and which I try to Find).

>> but nothing happened as you mentioned above. The data are inserted in the cell and it doesn’t make any find in Workbook A.

>> I did not reproduce your issue at our side.

>> I want to ask you that I miss a step in between? I do as you mentioned.

>> one another thing I want to tell you that did you try this to reproduce the issue on another machine? Is it gives you same behavior like your Excel gives you on your machine?

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:55 AM
  • you pressed alt+tab

as i mentioned you click directly into the other window's entry box (the narrow box above the worksheet for viewing and entering data in the cells)

Yes it happens on my machine using 2013 and a completely different machine using 2016

Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:40 PM
  • Hi, DoctorMoshe

>> as i mentioned you click directly into the other window's entry box

Here I am not understanding without switching windows. If you are working in a Workbook A and at that time workbook A is Activated. So how can you directly click on Formula Bar of Workbook B.

>> If we click on Formula bar of Workbook B then Workbook B will be get Activated.

>> and you have mention this in your original post “ (do not explicitly switch to or otherwise 'activate' that workbook B)  

>> How you are doing that

Regards

Deepak

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:54 AM
  • I have the 2 workbooks open in 2 separate windows side by side (actually on 2 different monitors but works the same on a single monitor).  I then also have the find window open searching for terms in the 'reference' sheet so I can find rows that might be important/relevant and then add the information to the 'new' sheet.  By "do not explicitly switch" I mean do not do any other steps or clicks to get to workbook B except for clicking on the formula bar.  So do not click on the title bar of workbook B, do not use alt-tab, do not click on cells in workbook B, etc...  And YES you would EXPECT that clicking on the Formula Bar of Workbook B SHOULD activate workbook B but that is the POINT it does NOT and hence the bug.

Maybe a more descriptive scenario might help.  Workbook A has information relevant for workbook B and helps me fill in/update workbook B.  So I open workbook A on my left and workbook B on my right.  So I'm updating a row in workbook B about widgets & I'm entering the 'properties' into the corresponding cell in that row.  I use the find box to search in workbook A and find all refs to widgets because only certain models are relevant.  Lets say the search brings up a cell A22 in workbook A "jade widgets" and I look and see columns after it say green (in cell B22) and $7 (in cell C22) .  Great, it turns out green widgets is one of the items I needed, so I go to workbook B on my right and click in the entry box to type that information for widget properties and instead of showing up in workbook B, I overwrite cell A22 in workbook A from "jade widgets" to now saying "$7".

Friday, April 8, 2016 2:18 PM
  • Hi, DoctorMoshe

>> Now I understand correctly how you are working and I have reproduce the same behavior of excel on my side.

>> it seems that it is bug and not activate the worksheet B when we directly click on formula bar when the Find window is open in workbook A.

>> so you can provide a feedback regarding this issue to Excel User voice.

I have mentioned a link below to give feedback. kindly visit the link.

Excel User Voice

Regards

Deepak 

Monday, April 11, 2016 12:12 PM