none
How to bind the dataset to the reportviewer dynamically... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using dot net 3.5 Framework. It is a Windows Application with vb.net.

I have added an Dataset into my project and created  a datatable having two columns(ID, Name) Both are string columns . No Data is added into this Dataset.  This column name is dragged into the table of the report (RDLC ) file. With this the designing part of the rdlc report  is completed.Then a microsoft report viewer is added into the Form and  this RDLC report is selected in reportviewer tasks--> choose Reports --> Now the reportviewer setting is also completed..

I will get another  dataset with same columns(ID,Name) in runtime say (button click..)This Dataset contains the real data... I need to use this as the datasource to this report..

IF i use the following code data is not populating..

ReportViewer1.LocalReport.DataSources.Add(New ReportDataSource("Dataset1_DataTable1", NewDataSet.Tables(0)))

Me.ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()

Here "Dataset1_DataTable1", is the name of the report Datasource .
    "NewDataset" is the dataset having Data and structure is the same as the Dataset used for designing..

How do i achieve this...

What could be the Error in this..

Thanks
    Radha krishnan

Friday, September 18, 2009 4:26 AM

Answers

• Radha, try...

frm.ReportViewer1.LocalReport.DataSources.Add(

New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportDataSource("DataSet1_DataTable1", m_dt))

...where m_dt is your DataTable. You can also use a BindingSource, where you would state:

bs.DataSource = m_dt

New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportDataSource("DataSet1_DataTable1", bs))

Fulano

Friday, September 18, 2009 4:46 AM

All replies

• Radha, try...

New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportDataSource("DataSet1_DataTable1", m_dt))

...where m_dt is your DataTable. You can also use a BindingSource, where you would state:

bs.DataSource = m_dt

New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportDataSource("DataSet1_DataTable1", bs))

Fulano

Friday, September 18, 2009 4:46 AM
  • Hi Fulano,

Thanks for your reply....

I have given the datasource Name as   "Dataset1_DataTable1" Instead of  "DataSet1_DataTable1".

The mistake i did is that i was not concentrated on the Case of the Letters in the datasource Name..It is Case Sensitive.

Now it works....

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:20 AM