Silverlight on Windows 8 Tablet? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I attended TechEd 2012 and it was great. There is no talk about Silverlight hinting that any future LOB apps need to be converted to Metro App -if they are currently on Silverlight.

But what is not clear is: If I have existing Browser based Silverlight application that works on Internet, any idea if there are plans to support Silverlight ON Windows 8 Tablet?

I will find it difficult to believe that Windows 8 comes on tablet but decides not to support Silverlight? But this could be intentional decision from Microsoft -not to support Silverlight -To force people to do Metro Apps [Otherwise developers will continue to do Silverlight development]?

We have right know these details and ahead of time to avoid confusion in development team and better decide our new projects.

I would appreciate someone from MSFT/Silverlight/Windows8 with Windows8 Tablet knowledge to throw some light on this.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 2:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

plug-ins like Silverlight are not supported in the Metro-style Internet Explorer, but you can use Silverlight in the desktop IE.

Monday, June 18, 2012 4:39 PM
  • That's only partially true :)  3 weeks ago they announced they were baking flash into Metro.  But Horizon_Net is correct, you can always use desktop IE/chrome/firefox.

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:10 PM