none
What are Formulas? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am confused of using the formulas in PWA. I have a company in which my employees have a daily task of processing some forms. Normally every employee have to process 100 forms daily. Suppose i started an incentive plan. On every 1 form if they process in addition to the 100 forms, i will offer them 1$. Suppose if any employee process 110(100+10) forms, then i will give him 10$ as an incentive for the day. So i want that my employees enter the processed form in the daily task and the incentive get calculated everyday automatically.

How can i implement the above scenario in Project Web Access.

Plz reply with the apprpriate solution.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 2:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Rahul,

I'm afraid this is going to be difficult to achieve in Project Web Access as Project Server is not really meant for the scenario you mention.
    In PWA you can track progress on tasks (number of hours your resources have spend on the different tasks). It is not possible to create a timephased custom field to track the number of forms processed on a daily base.

If you really have to do this in PWA, here are some thoughts:

• You could use material resources to capture the number of forms processed. The material is the form. By creating an assignment for each resource and setting the assignment owner accordingly, you resources can enter the number of forms processed daily. This solution is probably the only out-of-the-box solution that comes somewhat close to what you need.
    • Another option is to use the Timesheet feature to track the number of forms processed. You could create a category (administrative working) to track the number of forms. You could create an incentive report using reporting services. As this solution is misusing the Timesheet administrative time feature, I cannot recommended it.
    • Or you would have to develop a custom application to track the number of forms processed on a daily base. You could for example create a web part for tracking the procesed forms and add the web part onto PWA. This is probably the best solution as it allows you to achieve exactly what you want. But it requires custom development.

Remark that none of the solutions is ideal.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Rahul,

I'm afraid this is going to be difficult to achieve in Project Web Access as Project Server is not really meant for the scenario you mention.
    In PWA you can track progress on tasks (number of hours your resources have spend on the different tasks). It is not possible to create a timephased custom field to track the number of forms processed on a daily base.

If you really have to do this in PWA, here are some thoughts:

• You could use material resources to capture the number of forms processed. The material is the form. By creating an assignment for each resource and setting the assignment owner accordingly, you resources can enter the number of forms processed daily. This solution is probably the only out-of-the-box solution that comes somewhat close to what you need.
    • Another option is to use the Timesheet feature to track the number of forms processed. You could create a category (administrative working) to track the number of forms. You could create an incentive report using reporting services. As this solution is misusing the Timesheet administrative time feature, I cannot recommended it.
    • Or you would have to develop a custom application to track the number of forms processed on a daily base. You could for example create a web part for tracking the procesed forms and add the web part onto PWA. This is probably the best solution as it allows you to achieve exactly what you want. But it requires custom development.

Remark that none of the solutions is ideal.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:56 PM
  • I am really thankful to u Hans for giving me the solutions in Brief. I think the first solution that you suggested is the best to implement this scenario.

Can you please elaborate or provide the step be step procedure to implement this.

I will be very thankful to u

Regards

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:58 AM
  • Rahul,

Find below the steps to try the first solution:

• In the resource pool, create a material resource (Type = Material)
    • Add the material resource to the planning
    • Create a task for each resource that needs to report on processed forms
    • Assign the material resource to the task(s)
    • Add the column 'Assignment Owner' and change it to the resource that needs to report on processed forms
    • Save and publish the project
    • The resource can now enter the number of forms processed daily on the My Tasks page in PWA.

This solution is not ideal, but you can give it a try to see if it fit your needs.

Regards,
    Hans

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Thats really great...

But how can i calculate the incentive. I mean how the calculatiob is performed.

Regards

Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:07 AM