none
Encoding EDI Data? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Sorry in advance for being a noob...  We are currently building a process to build HIPAA 834s.  One issue that has come up is related to the Data Element Separator.  What do you do when building a HIPAA transaction string has either the segment terminator, the data element separator or the component separator in it.  For example when building an address segment what do you do if the address has an asterisks in it and the asterisks is the data element separator?

Thanks,

Craig

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:54 PM

Answers

• I ran into this problem too, like if you have a period in a decimal field and a period is the data element separator. I was able to have my trading partner expect a different value for the data element separator.

Until the R3 fix, I would try to use either a pipeline component or map to do a regular expression to replace the data element asterix while the message is in Xml form. See http://www.codeplex.com/BizTalkSymbolReplace for a regular expression pipeline component. You could also use a custom map with a .NET method call to accomplish this logic. Another approach would be to work out with your trading partner to use data element separators that are not asterices.

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:16 AM

All replies

• There is no check available in R2 to prevent separator character from the message content. But in the next release (BizTalk Server R3) there will be some functionality to address this problem.

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:50 PM
  • I ran into this problem too, like if you have a period in a decimal field and a period is the data element separator. I was able to have my trading partner expect a different value for the data element separator.

Until the R3 fix, I would try to use either a pipeline component or map to do a regular expression to replace the data element asterix while the message is in Xml form. See http://www.codeplex.com/BizTalkSymbolReplace for a regular expression pipeline component. You could also use a custom map with a .NET method call to accomplish this logic. Another approach would be to work out with your trading partner to use data element separators that are not asterices.

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:16 AM