Guide for Active/Active cluster setup on Win2008 SQL 2008. Only done Active/Passive RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have a guide to use for installing Active/Active SQL Server 2008 clusters on Win2008?  We have experience doing it on Active/Passive on 2000/2003/2008 but not doing active active.  Do we install the software on both nodes, do we need to be wary of any caveats? Any differences in testing/validating?  Any links specific to active/active are appreciated, haven't found much online!  
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is pretty much the same thing. Lets say you have NodeA and NodeB. You install a failover sql cluster from the media on NodeA. NodeA is running instance1 while NodeB is passive. Get on NodeB and start a new failover cluster setup. Once it finishes, get on NodeA and add that node into an existing cluster. Just make sure you have your shared storage for the other mssql instance.

found a quick video for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kgaaSuGrw4&feature=related seems to be a few parts to it.
    • Edited by jrsqlguy Friday, November 11, 2011 10:28 PM
    • Proposed as answer by jrsqlguy Friday, November 11, 2011 11:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by A SQL Learner Friday, November 18, 2011 1:23 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Hi there SQL Learner.

Single instance cluster and multi-instance clusters are functionality the same thing in that with the latter scenario, the only real difference is the fact that you have more SQL Failover Clusters (instances). Obviously there are additional considerations you should have such as cohabitation on the same node/s and various configurations you can or should make to account for these things, but ideally you should set up a virtual multi-instance cluster and play around with it to become more confident.

Hopefully I have managed to capture many of these issues and more in my SQLBits SQL Server Clustering for dummies presentation which you can watch at your leisure.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:46 AM
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is pretty much the same thing. Lets say you have NodeA and NodeB. You install a failover sql cluster from the media on NodeA. NodeA is running instance1 while NodeB is passive. Get on NodeB and start a new failover cluster setup. Once it finishes, get on NodeA and add that node into an existing cluster. Just make sure you have your shared storage for the other mssql instance.

found a quick video for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kgaaSuGrw4&feature=related seems to be a few parts to it.
    • Edited by jrsqlguy Friday, November 11, 2011 10:28 PM
    • Proposed as answer by jrsqlguy Friday, November 11, 2011 11:01 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Hi there SQL Learner.

Single instance cluster and multi-instance clusters are functionality the same thing in that with the latter scenario, the only real difference is the fact that you have more SQL Failover Clusters (instances). Obviously there are additional considerations you should have such as cohabitation on the same node/s and various configurations you can or should make to account for these things, but ideally you should set up a virtual multi-instance cluster and play around with it to become more confident.

Hopefully I have managed to capture many of these issues and more in my SQLBits SQL Server Clustering for dummies presentation which you can watch at your leisure.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:46 AM
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:19 AM