Powerpivot - pivot table problem - for any pivot table selection always there is only one table and additional sheet RRS feed

• Question

• I have simple data (EmpID, Name, Location, Salary, Bonus, Location, DOB) for which I want to create four chart pivot. When I select four chart from 'Pivot Table' drop down list, the Powerpivot creats two sheets viz. "Data for Sheet4 Chart 1" & "Sheet4". First problem, instead of two sheets there should have been four. Besides that the Powerpivot always creates only one Pivot Table (no chart). This behaviour is consistent even when 2-chart or 'chart & table' is selected. I did un-install the Powerpivot and re-installed but the behaviour didn’t change.

Can someone help here please?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Ron,

After I re-start my machine things are working now. Thanks much for looking into it.

-RKV

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:12 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 1:52 PM

All replies

• The way it  should work:

1. Charts and PivotTables that you select from the PivotTable button in the PowerPivot window will all show up on one sheet.
    2. For Excel 2010, any chart will also have a backing PivotTable on a separate sheet or sheets (separate backing PivotTable sheet for each chart).
      For Excel 2013, there won't be a backing PivotTable.
      (The 2010 behavior is due to Excel requirements of PivotCharts that was relaxed in 2013)

I verified this behavior on my installation of PowerPivot for Office 2010 (v. 11.0.3000.0) and 2013.

What are the versions of Excel and PowerPivot you are working with? Can you provide a detailed scenario that we could walk through that reproduces the problem?

Thanks,
    -Ron

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:22 AM
  • For Point-1 - I never seen chart but only single table, even when two/four chart selected.

I have Excel 2010 (14.0.6112.5000 (32bit)) and Powerpivot for Office 2010 (v. 11.0.3000.0).

Here is what I have have done -

1) Installed .NET Framework 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime. 
    2) Downloaded and installed Powerpivot for Office 2010 (32bit version).
    3) Created CSV with following headers - EmpID, Name, Location, Salary, Bonus, Location, DOB.
    4) Clicked on Powerpivot.
    5) Imported text (CSV) data.
    6) Clicked "down arrow" on 'Pivot Table', slected 'Four Charts'.
    7) Ok.
    8) Two sheets created "Data for Sheet10 Chart 1" and "Sheet10". The sheet "Data for Sheet10 Chart 1" has only one Pivot table, no charts :(

-RKV

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:56 PM
  • Thanks RKV. One more quick question: which OS are you doing this on?

Thanks,
    -Ron

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Windows 7 Enterprise
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:04 PM
  • I followed your repro steps on Windows 7 enterprise, 32-bit Excel 2010 & 32-bit PowerPivot (version 11.0.3000.0) and I'm not able to see a problem.

When you look at Sheet 10 in your workbook, do you see anything on the sheet?

Also, can you try closing all instances of Excel to start with a new workbook and then create the PowerPivot workbook and import your .csv?

-Ron

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:56 PM
  • No there is nothing in Sheet10. Also I closed all instance of Excel and re-started but the problem remains the same. I haven't yet restarted machine, I will do it later in the day to see whether it solves the issue.

I wonder why there is single pivot table when chart is selected. I dont face problem when not pivot table with chart selected. Wonder if there is some setting to enable charts in Powerpivot?

-RKV

Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:11 AM
  • Hi Ron,

After I re-start my machine things are working now. Thanks much for looking into it.

-RKV

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:12 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 1:52 PM