SMTP and POP3 Weirdness on Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Something happened to my laptop in the last month that's made it unable to send SMTP messages or receive POP3 messages over the standard ports and I can't seem to fix it.

I connect, while in the office, to our Exchange server and that works fine, but I have 2 other standard SMTP and POP3 accounts set up that will no longer connect.

All firewalls are off. All antivirus s/w is disabled. I've tried connecting to the mail server using telnet (telnet mail.myserver.com 25) and that gets a response from the server, but ONLY if I do that right after rebooting and before any attempts to connect with Outlook. As soon as I attempt to connect with Outlook, it seems to corrupt the setting and any further attempts made with telnet get no response.

I've made sure that all TCP/IP filtering is turned off. I've done a repair installation of Outlook. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook Express and Internet Explorer. I ran "net int ip reset c:\ResetLog.txt" to reset the IP stack too.
    I've checked the command line "netstat" to see if ports 25 or 110 are being held open by some process, but they are not. I've also just installed XP SP3. All to no avail.

The mail server I'm connecting to has a 2ndary SMTP port of 587 and oddly enough, I can connect on that port using telnet or Outlook continually without issue. However, there's no 2ndary POP3 port.

I'm running out of ideas. If anyone could shed some light on this issue, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

-matt
    Friday, July 11, 2008 3:37 PM