Surface Pro2. We could not get your developer license for Windows 8.1" error 0XC03F1014

Question

• I had this working on this Surface Pro2, files were in TFS cloud, developer licensing went without a hitch and I was able to start working on my app.

I had to reinstall everything due to another issue.  Now I get this error. 

I don't want to reinstall everything over again.  Is there a way to just fix this?

I bought the Surface directly from Microsoft store, and as I said had it working on the same device before I had to restore to factory defaults, it has to be genuine copy of windows.

This is happening using VS2013 pro with a windows store app template using c#. I have read every forum post I could find here and google / bing.  No luck.

Another thread specified the steps to get support but the links he references are not there anymore.

I had developer support on the phone last night and he said that it is a technical support issue and he could not help me.  My only option was to use this forum.

Please help!

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Joseph,

The problem acquiring the developer license is probably a registry issue. Unfortunately this isn't something we can diagnose and fix in the forums, so you'll need to open a open a support case. It sounds like you talked to the non-technical developer support team last night. Here are the steps to open a case with the technical developer support team:

1. Visit the URL: http://aka.ms/storesupport with your developer account. You may have support incidents already included in your account  
    2. In the "App development" section find the link called "Developer Tools"

3. Click that link and then it will ask you to choose the support type. To reach the correct support team choose the following:  
      Problem Type: “Technical support for Windows Store and Windows Phone app development” 
      Category: “appropriate category" 
      Once you do that, there should be an option that lets you “Request a call”/    “Start Email”

Charges will be refunded for cases which are rooted in a Microsoft bug.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:13 PM
    Owner
  • I see many posts to this problem without a reasonable solution.  It now seems to me that you are asking me to pay $259 to help me figure it out, and then maybe you can refund the money if it was a bug.

It would be nice if you guys could fix the problem instead.  There are many unanswered posts regarding this topic on your forums.  The ones that are marked as answered lead to dead ends or old links.

I am not the only one with this problem, I think it is on you guys to sort it out.

In the meantime, I supposed I have no choice but to reset my surface pro2 yet again.  The only things I have tried to install on it are SQL 2014 CTP and VS2013. 

I am trying to participate in Azure, TFS in the cloud, Surface as a development platform.  I get very excited and want to work on windows store applications.  But we are hitting a brick wall here.

I understand if it takes effort and process to get in the windows store.  I just want to develop and learn the technology.  VS stops me with a hard error that I can not even work on my project without a license.

If it was just me I could hit the forums and google / bing to figure it out.  But I think it is more than just me and there are no answers to be found.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:52 AM
  • I decided to bite the bullet and wipe the surface again.  Installing VS2013 Pro first, will update soon.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:56 AM
  • Same problem...

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:04 AM
  • Unfortunately it is not something that we have a turnkey fix for. We need to customize it for your individual system, which requires opening a case. As noted several times, cases based on Microsoft bugs will be refunded.

--Rob

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:29 AM
    Owner
  • Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:18 PM
    Owner
  • the issue is still open. VS2012 on 8.1 still gets the same message even with the patch applied
    Tuesday, May 06, 2014 5:30 PM
  • If you have the fix installed then you are probably running into a different issue (albeit with similar symptoms). Please open a case to help track it down.

--Rob

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 2:22 AM
    Owner