WP7 Beta App Exits Immediately RRS feed

• Question

• My WP8 beta app works perfectly; however, the WP7 beta app fails to launch and exits immediately when it is installed from the app store. The same WP7 app runs perfectly both in the emulator and on an actual WP7 device, if I install it directly using the XapDeploy utility. This behavior has just started happening in the last 2 days. Prior, there was never a problem and the WP7 app install worked flawlessly.

I have resubmitted the beta app, and I have even deleted the submission and created a new beta app, but the same behavior persists.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas what might be wrong? 

• Edited by Ozzy1873 Saturday, December 7, 2013 7:05 PM
    Saturday, December 7, 2013 7:02 PM

Answers

• I have been informed that this issue was resolved over the weekend.  Beta apps should be resubmitted to the store to resolve the problem. 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Proposed as answer by eLeader Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:41 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by eLeader Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:41 AM
    • Proposed as answer by FourTonMantis Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ozzy1873 Tuesday, December 24, 2013 10:02 PM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Hello All,

This issue with processing Windows Phone 7 XAPs has been resolved, however, you will need to resubmit your apps for certification. Many of you may have been contacted by the certification team with instructions on how to proceed.

If you have any questions or if you need any further assistance please contact developer support.

-Eric

Windows Phone Developer Support

Send us your feedback about the Dev Center

• Marked as answer by Ozzy1873 Tuesday, December 24, 2013 10:03 PM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:52 PM

All replies

• Hard to say without knowing anything specific about the app.   Sounds like something in the apps startup is failing so the app shuts down.  If there is a database could the structure of the database be wrong so the app fails?  Could there be a missing xml file or something that can be accessed?  Could a internet connection not be available to connect to a service?  etc...
    Saturday, December 7, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Thanks for replying Ken, but I'm pretty sure everything is there. Two days ago it was working. I made some minor updates (changed some text) and now it won't work anymore. The same app works when I install it directly. It's only when downloaded from the store that it fails. It barely done showing the splash screen and it exits. I uninstalled the app from the phone, which wipes all the local data files. There are no xml files or such that are missing. The internet connect is available, but shutting off the connection does not cause it to fail.

It really looks like the app is somehow corrupted when downloaded from the store.

Saturday, December 7, 2013 8:25 PM
  • If you look on your dashboard for the wp7 app do you see any crash reports?  Maybe there is something in the stack trace to explain what is happening
    Saturday, December 7, 2013 8:30 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem! This seems to be a problem with the system. Probably  a bug they introduced when they updated betas to not having a 3 month limit anymore.

This is for a new beta I created 2 days ago.

I'll try and update an existing one (that still has the 3 month limit) and check if this is only a problem with new betas or also with existing ones.

There are no crash reports yet, as they take a few days to show up.

Also I'm scared of publishing an update to an existing official app as a problem like this could result in many angry users!

Edit: had to get my tablet to edit this post. This forum is obviously not meant to be used with a windows phone... it totally screwed up the formatting and had visual glitches.

• Edited by deHoDev Saturday, December 7, 2013 8:54 PM
    Saturday, December 7, 2013 8:41 PM
  • The crash reports are not available yet unfortunately.

Ah, so someone else is seeing this too. Maybe you are right that it is a system problem. When I first experience this, it was with an older beta with the 3 month limit. I then deleted that beta and created a new one without the 3 month limit and have the same problem, so that seems unrelated to new vs. old betas.

I am also apprehensive about publishing an official app while this is happening.

Saturday, December 7, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Hello,

DevCenter now wrongly packaging WP7 XAPs and causes apps inmediately to exit when download from Store or Beta.
    This is a newly introduced bug in DevCenter and only apply for WP7 XAPs.
    The run-time exception is "File or assembly name ..., or one of its dependencies, was not found."

I have successfully published an app which uses WP Toolkit 7.0.1.0. It works both locally and when I download it from the Windows Store.

Now I updated one of my app to use the WP Toolkit 7.0.1.0 and it works correctly from my development machine, but does not work when I download from the Windows Phone Store, it gives this error:

"File or assembly name 'Microsoft.Phone.Controls.Toolkit, Version=7.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B772AD94EB9CA604', or one of its dependencies, was not found."

when It try to use CustomMessageBox.

I just tried the beta submission and after I resubmited my previously working XAP to the beta submission it won't working anymore after I downloading it from the WP Store.

Something changed in the XAP packaging process and the DevCenter wrongly packaging the WP7 XAPs.

When will this bug be fixed?

Tom

Sunday, December 8, 2013 12:07 PM
  • Hello,

This is a DevCenter bug!

The reason why your apps exit is: "File or assembly name ..., or one of its dependencies, was not found.""

See my post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/wpapps/en-US/7e425354-b94f-459e-8947-7a81689615da/file-or-assembly-name-microsoftphonecontrolstoolkit-version7010-cultureneutral?forum=wpsubmit#7e425354-b94f-459e-8947-7a81689615da

Tom

• Edited by pubtom Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:50 PM link corrected.
    Sunday, December 8, 2013 12:08 PM
  • Thanks! Now I know not to publish the current update until that is fixed. (Which should ironicly fix about 15 bugs i my app)

Though I find it a little bit strange that the update manage to pass certification with such a bug. Maybe Microsoft stopped testing with WP7 devices?

How do you already have the exception? I can only see crash reports up to the 5th of december (and not all from the 5th I think).

I think the problem started on the 5th (thursday). I updated my beta on every day of the week. The last update that worked correctly was submitted and published on the 4th.

Sunday, December 8, 2013 12:34 PM
  • You can catch all unhandled exception in the Application_UnhandledException() method in app.xaml.cs and just show it in a MessageBox.
    Sunday, December 8, 2013 12:52 PM
  • Yes, that's what I'm doing.

But I guess in this case it is not working because I'm using a custom MessageBox to have the custom button texts "send" and "don't send". (A modified MessageBox from the WP Toolkit)

I guess that trying to show that message results in an unhandled exception loop causing the app to close after not starting for 10 seconds. (I wonder if this will even show up in the Dashboards crash reports.

The system is probably not adding/installing the correct dlls.

Sunday, December 8, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Any comment from Microsoft?

Did anyone of you create a support ticket? I haven't yet, but the problem is still not fixed, so I might in a few hours if there is no answer here or in the other thread.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:59 AM
  • I have contacted the support for this issue on 5-th Dec and according to their answer, they were not aware of the issue.

I have sent a message again 15 minutes ago.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:59 PM
  • Hello Ozzy1873,

It is a good start that you are testing your app as a beta. The most common reason your app will fail to launch after being processed by the store (either published to the store or as a beta) is if the app's capabilities have not been properly declared.

You should also make sure you have error handling in your code (code example) so your app will exit gracefully if there is an unhandled exception.

You should also run the Windows Phone Store Test Kit which will help with testing your app.

This blog post has additional tips: Your Windows Phone 7/8 application tests fine, but fails after publishing to Marketplace or after private app distribution

-Eric

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Hello Eric,

thank you for the response.

That is not the issue. I have 2 betas! Both were the exact same XAP file. The second one was submitted after the 5th to take advantage of the unlimited betas.

The first works on both WP7 and WP8 devices. The second only on WP8 devices, on all WP7 devices the app crashes on start up. Nothing was changed.

Since that, I updated the beta to make sure it was not only a upload fluke, but the error percists.

- Stefan

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:18 PM
  • I'm going to investigate.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:26 PM
  • I have released a 7.1 beta build for my app.After installation when it is launched, it shows only app screen and then it show windows phone menu screen. But same build when installed on WP8 runs fine. I am not getting the root cause for this app behavior since same .XAP when deployed externally from Pc it works fine both in WP8 and WP7. Please reply asap since this issue restricts my app to get publish on public store. 

Thanks

Aviral

This post is "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:29 AM
  • This happened to lots of us:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/wpapps/en-US/f1e564c4-5217-4810-b0b5-40e6b6ad17ad/wp7-beta-app-exits-immediately?forum=wpsubmit
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:44 AM
  • edit: this post is not really importent anymore with my new post.

I just noticed something real weird. The affected app and beta show "Camera" as a requirement but none of the associated XAPs have that capability set and never had, and it only shows for WP7 devices.

The Dev Center added that automatically.

(This might not be directly related as I can see the same behavior on the official non beta app, which had the last update two weeks ago and is working as intended)

Are there any dependency capabilities?

I have these set for the wp7 xap:

<Capability Name="ID_CAP_IDENTITY_DEVICE" />
          <Capability Name="ID_CAP_IDENTITY_USER" />
          <Capability Name="ID_CAP_LOCATION" />
          <Capability Name="ID_CAP_MEDIALIB" />
          <Capability Name="ID_CAP_NETWORKING" />
          <Capability Name="ID_CAP_PHONEDIALER" />
          <Capability Name="ID_CAP_SENSORS" />
          <Capability Name="ID_CAP_WEBBROWSERCOMPONENT" />

And it passes the Store Test Kit with those.

I'm currently trying to reproduce the error with a new nearly empty project. I will let you know my findings as soon as I can download the test beta submission I made.

• Edited by deHoDev Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:22 PM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:00 AM
  • I replicated this error!

It's very very easy to replicate, took me 5 minutes + 4 hours of waiting till I was able to download the beta.

If you want, I can upload the solution, but here are the steps to replicate to problem:

1. Create new WP7.1 project
    2. Create new WP8 project (same solution)
    3. Add WPtoolkit to both projects via nuget
    4. Add a toolkit control to the mainpage of both Projects (I used the DateTime picker)
    5. build both Projects in release mode
    6. Create a new beta in the Dev Center Dashboard
    7. Upload WP7 xap, set mandatory fields, set version to 1.0.0.0, save
    8. Upload additional WP8 xap, set mandatory fields, set version to 1.0.0.1, save
    9. submit
    10. wait for submittion to finish
    11. wait for download being available
    12. download app on WP7 device and see the app Crash on Startup
    13. download app on WP8 device and see the app work as intended

Both xaps work when deploying locally.

Now as an additional note:

This is one way to replicate the problem and I only tested this one. It's possible that step 3 and 4 are not even necessary and it is possible that step 8 is not necessary.

But I had to wait 4 hours for finaly being able to download the beta, so I was only able to test this once.

My guess is, that the Dev Center or your Build/Compile Service somehow mixes up the dlls in the xaps or something similar.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:20 PM
  • I have exactly the same issue and only WP7 xap is affected. The xap I submitted for beta has already been certified by the Dev Center and I just want to test the new beta store. Can I publish the certified xap which failed in beta store to the windows phone store? Someone from MS may answer this question.
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Step 8 is not necessary indeed.

I'm experimenting with the issue since it appeared on 5th Dec and came to the conclusion, that the same XAP fails on WP7, while it works on WP8.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:57 PM
  • I replicated this error!

It's very very easy to replicate, took me 5 minutes + 4 hours of waiting till I was able to download the beta.

If you want, I can upload the solution, but here are the steps to replicate to problem:

1. Create new WP7.1 project
    2. Create new WP8 project (same solution)
    3. Add WPtoolkit to both projects via nuget
    4. Add a toolkit control to the mainpage of both Projects (I used the DateTime picker)
    5. build both Projects in release mode
    6. Create a new beta in the Dev Center Dashboard
    7. Upload WP7 xap, set mandatory fields, set version to 1.0.0.0, save
    8. Upload additional WP8 xap, set mandatory fields, set version to 1.0.0.1, save
    9. submit
    10. wait for submittion to finish
    11. wait for download being available
    13. download app on WP8 device and see the app work as intended

Both xaps work when deploying locally.

Now as an additional note:

This is one way to replicate the problem and I only tested this one. It's possible that step 3 and 4 are not even necessary and it is possible that step 8 is not necessary.

But I had to wait 4 hours for finaly being able to download the beta, so I was only able to test this once.

My guess is, that the Dev Center or your Build/Compile Service somehow mixes up the dlls in the xaps or something similar.

Happening to me as well, and app is NOT beta.

WP8 runs fine, WP7 won't launch.

Now 1-star ratings are falling down from the sky. Will MS fix this and compensate/remove the bad reviews caused?

Regards

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:56 PM
  • Hello guys,

I shuld just repeat myself, what I posted on three days ago:

"This is a DevCenter bug!

The reason why your apps exit is: "File or assembly name ..., or one of its dependencies, was not found.""

See my post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/wpapps/en-US/7e425354-b94f-459e-8947-7a81689615da/file-or-assembly-name-microsoftphonecontrolstoolkit-version7010-cultureneutral?forum=wpsubmit#7e425354-b94f-459e-8947-7a81689615da"

So we can nothing to do :(
    I have also submitted a support request, but got no answear.
    Maybe support will answer something not relevant things as usual like give a link to http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wsdevsol/archive/2013/05/08/your-published-windows-phone-7-8-application-fails-to-run.aspx to check app capabilities, but of course this is not the case!

So I just give an explanation to Step 12:

If you catch the unhandled exception you will see why your app craches and exit:
    "File or assembly name 'Microsoft.Phone.Controls.Toolkit, Version=7.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B772AD94EB9CA604', or one of its dependencies, was not found."

So this is really a DevCenter bug as it was working for publishing before December.

Note: This bug is exist not just for Beta but also for normal submission.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:50 PM
  • Hello Ozzy1873,

It is a good start that you are testing your app as a beta. The most common reason your app will fail to launch after being processed by the store (either published to the store or as a beta) is if the app's capabilities have not been properly declared.

You should also make sure you have error handling in your code (code example) so your app will exit gracefully if there is an unhandled exception.

You should also run the Windows Phone Store Test Kit which will help with testing your app.

This blog post has additional tips: Your Windows Phone 7/8 application tests fine, but fails after publishing to Marketplace or after private app distribution

-Eric

Eric, I didn't make any major changes to the update, just managed code. And I update the app almost twice a week without problems. Problems started yesterday (besides certification took longer than usual, about 10 hours).
    Now all WP7 updated apps are useless, and many users rating it bad. Please fix asap. Any quick workaround?

Regards

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:41 PM
  • Our operations team is investigating this now.  I'll post back here when I have an update.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:31 PM
  • I just submitted the same WP7 xap as a NEW submission (just WP7 xap, no WP8), and it FAILS just the same way. The appid is 3d68c51c-bb42-4971-94c9-c3f25839a16d

Please resolve this asap!

Regards

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:01 PM
  • I have also submitted 2 wp7 apps and having the same problem. The app works fine on wp8 and crashes on wp7. Please solve this quickly, as i am getting 1star reviews for last 2days.

BInu

Friday, December 13, 2013 2:19 AM
  • Is this getting the priority it deserves?
    WP7 is also important and we put a lot of effort in maintaining backward compatibility. Now this is paying back with lots of negative reviews. Is there any eta?

Regards

Friday, December 13, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Yes, and I expect to have an update later today.  I can't say much until I get the go-ahead.

Friday, December 13, 2013 2:18 PM
  • Matt, I appreciate your help looking into the issue.

I want to confirm this is really urgent issue from developer's view. We have apps in production crashing on WP7, people are posting low reviews and beta apps on WP7 are also not working. That means teams using beta for testing their products on WP7 have to stop and wait.

Almost a week passed and the issue still remains. 

Please update us as soon as possible on solutions or workarounds available.

Thank you.

Friday, December 13, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Got the same issue.
    It is really urgent to get that fixed!
    I have updated my app a few days ago and now I am getting a lot of 1 star reviews.
    There are to people who paid for the app and now it is not working for some of them.

Please mark as answer if a post answers your question.

Friday, December 13, 2013 9:45 PM
  • I've got the same problem. It seems the store or beta ingestion process somehow removes some of the dll's from the XAP (or corrupts them). 

Specifically, mine is failing with a missing Microsoft.Phone.Controls.dll on a Samsung focus 7.5.  The exact same XAP downloaded from the beta to a Lumia 920 (WP8) works fine.

Deploying with either the app deployment tool or via VS 2012 works fine.

Appid: 97b953e0-1611-4514-bbe6-08963243d660

Darin R.

• Edited by Darin Rousseau Friday, December 13, 2013 11:31 PM added appid
    Friday, December 13, 2013 11:30 PM
  • Been pulling hair on this for over a week.  Now I know it's not me.  Please fix ASAP!
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 3:43 AM
  • I have been informed that this issue was resolved over the weekend.  Beta apps should be resubmitted to the store to resolve the problem. 

• Proposed as answer by eLeader Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:41 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by eLeader Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:41 AM
    • Proposed as answer by FourTonMantis Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ozzy1873 Tuesday, December 24, 2013 10:02 PM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 3:12 PM
  • I confirm that my beta is working after resubmit.
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:05 AM
  • It is resolved now. Thanks. Now if you could remove the 1 star ratings generated during that period it would be nice.

Regards

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Hello All,

This issue with processing Windows Phone 7 XAPs has been resolved, however, you will need to resubmit your apps for certification. Many of you may have been contacted by the certification team with instructions on how to proceed.

If you have any questions or if you need any further assistance please contact developer support.

-Eric

• Marked as answer by Ozzy1873 Tuesday, December 24, 2013 10:03 PM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:52 PM