Alternative Resource Fields - Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer that is interested in analyzing financials for projects, associating invoices to tasks. I have two questions in helping to guide them to the right decision:

1) They run into a situation where a contractor may work 50 hours to complete a 50 hour task, but only bill for 45 hours.

2) What is the best way to associate invoices with tasks and/or time-sheets in order to maintain accurate reporting. For example, a task or time sheet may have multiple invoices associated with it, but the same can be said for an invoice have multiple tasks and/or time-sheets.

As with a question I posed separately, I believe the answer for number 1 lies in creating a custom field associated with a 'Contractor' type of resource. However, I am a bit baffled with the second item.

Any feedback and direction would be greatly appreciated. ~R

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 6:07 PM

Answers

• R:

There is no one correct solution here, however there is one very incorrect soltuion and that is to expect to be able to do this within Project Server. While it is easy enough to identify resources as contractors using metadata, and it's easy enough to use custom cost fields to identify contract rates and contract caps, connecting multiple invoices to one or more tasks and vice versa is not Project Server's realm. Project Server is a Project Management information system that you can integrate to financial systems, but it is not a financial system by any stretch.

You might be able to adapt some of the cost management solutins that third parties are offering as add-ons for Project Server or you may be able to do this with some custom interfaces to your existing financial system, but you're not likely to meet this need without buying or building something.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:15 PM

All replies

• R:

There is no one correct solution here, however there is one very incorrect soltuion and that is to expect to be able to do this within Project Server. While it is easy enough to identify resources as contractors using metadata, and it's easy enough to use custom cost fields to identify contract rates and contract caps, connecting multiple invoices to one or more tasks and vice versa is not Project Server's realm. Project Server is a Project Management information system that you can integrate to financial systems, but it is not a financial system by any stretch.

You might be able to adapt some of the cost management solutins that third parties are offering as add-ons for Project Server or you may be able to do this with some custom interfaces to your existing financial system, but you're not likely to meet this need without buying or building something.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:15 PM
  • Thanks Gary. Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you, but I didn't receive notification of your reply.

Your information is very helpful and I thank you for taking your time out for me. ~R

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:53 PM