Forum for Custom Controls RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a forum for developing custom controls (user, derived, etc.) that I'm not seeing?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you're talking about the regular Win32 API, there is a Windows SDK forum on the *old* platform that has not yet migrated over, that deals with all aspects of Win32 Programming.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Hi!

Use this forum.
    Lucian Baciu, MSP, MCTS, http://studentclub.ro/lucians_weblog
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:50 AM
  • I appreciate the suggestion and I checked out the forum you linked.  But it seems that forum is pretty narrowly tailored to using designers whether they be Form or custom control.  I interpret USING DESIGNERS pretty differently from DEVELOPING custom controls.  But absent a forum dedicated to developing custom controls, your suggestion does appear to be the "closest match."

I'm actually surprised there isn't a forum dedicated to writing all the different types of custom controls, derived, user, inherited from Control, and writing extender providers and components.  Is developing custom controls not that popular of a topic?  (And I pose that question to all forum users.)

If a member of the team that manages these forums could chime in state whether the forum that was suggested is the intended forum for my topic, or if they are considering (or would consider) creating a forum for writing custom controls, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:40 AM
  • it's a such a narrow topic that it does not need a section for itself. see the forum i've already linked you to.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:29 AM
  • "it's a such a narrow topic that it does not need a section for itself. see the forum i've already linked you to."

naicul, that's YOUR opinion.  And as I stated in my previous post, I already looked at your link and expressed my appreciation in your posting it.  So get off your arrogant high horse.

Furthermore, it's not as narrow a topic as Regular Expressions, and there's a separate forum just for that.  Topics that are truly too narrow for its own forum usually only get a chapter or so in books.  But there have been entire books published soley on the topic of writing custom controls.  So how narrow of a topic can it really be?

Now if the desginers/managers of these forums feel it's too narrow of a topic for its own forum, then that is their choice.  And I'll respect that.  But I have yet to understand what makes you the ultimate authority.

And lastly ... naicul, responding to other posters' inquiries and questions in such an arrogant and dismissive manner only serves to discourage people from using these forums.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:21 PM
  • i was only trying to help. your answer makes me sad.

have a nice day, i'm out of this thread.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Greg,

So, were you talking about custom controls developed in Win32 or not? You never answered. If you were, then I've already told you where to look.
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:36 AM
  • scorpion007 said:

Greg,

So, were you talking about custom controls developed in Win32 or not? You never answered. If you were, then I've already told you where to look.

Sorry scorp, the reason I didn't answer it is because you didn't post it as a question, you posted it as a conditional answer.  So I apologize if you were offended by my not responding.

But since you've now posted it here as a question, I'll answer you.  No, I'm not.  But there's no reason why Win32 API couldn't be included in the forum I was suggesting.

And by the way ... "If you were, then I've already told you where to look."?   LOL ... uhhh, True?  So why repeat yourself?  You know, your attitude is no better than naiculs.  Even though the overwelming majority of posters on these forums are pretty nice guys (and gals) who have a lot to offer, I guess there's always going to be a couple little snotty ones.
    Monday, June 30, 2008 1:30 AM
  • I repeated myself because I received no response from you, and thought you may have missed my post.
    Monday, June 30, 2008 1:51 AM
  • Hi Greg,

I am with you here I think it is rather a very advanced specialized topic with few experts willing to share knowledge.  In Asp.net there is a forum for it but not Winform because the only place you could get help for Winform custom control is that forum Naicul posted.  It will be good if Microsoft will provide a forum because I recently met a user who thinks the problem was AppDomain but actually he did not know he needed to implement UITypeEditor to provide design time support for his control.  If you are interested in Asp.net I have covered all you need in the thread below including the forum.

http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/c1cb4e3e-9836-456c-ab8a-64c09f461460

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCITP BI & MCTS SQL Server 2005
    Monday, June 30, 2008 8:18 PM
  • Thanks Caddre.  I just recently starting working with UITypeEditor myself.  Also, just created a custom one which wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.  The books I have on the subject do a pretty good job delving into the subject, but there are still a lot of pieces that could be expanded on.

I had to a lot of digging to discover the ISupportInitialize interface which solved a problem I had.  And I'm sure there is so much more stuff out there that I'm not even aware of.  I still think we need a separate forum to discuss not only the development of custom controls itself, but the subjects of using UITypeEditors, creating our own UITypeEditors and TypeConverters, creating custom desginers (which I've been doing on a pretty elementary level), creating the action lists for smart tags, etc., creating the graphics when writing controls from scratch (inheriting from Control).  It really is a pretty big area.  I also wish there were more books on the subject.

Maybe the board designers will create a forum for it after all.  One can hope.

Monday, June 30, 2008 10:10 PM
  • post your wish in the Sugestions forum. maybe someone will take it into account. good luck!
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Good idea.  I will do that.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 12:27 AM
  • test post
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 9:34 PM