How to force use of server-side file handler? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have another odd permissions problem.  I have several groups, each of which has their own subsite of the Reports Library.  I want them to only be able to open excel files on the web page, not in excel.  I have set their permissions to View Only for their own folders.  The definition of the View Only permission is: Members of this group can view pages, list items, and documents. If the document has a server-side file handler available, they can only view the document using the server-side file handler.  But my groups can still open the files in excel.  What is causing this?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:39 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I’ve tested in my environment that Excel files in Reports library will only be opened in web browser if users only have read permission, so that means it works fine as expected and I cannot reproduce your issue. Please take following actions to see if they can work:

1.       Go to Reports Library > Settings > Advanced Settings  to select “Display as a Web page” for “Opening browser-enabled documents”

2.       Go to Central Administration > Operations > Services on Server to start Excel Calculation Service

3.       Go to SSP  > Excel Services Trusted File Locations to add your current report library’s address

If the problem still exist, please let me know.

Regards,

Jerry

Xing-Bing Yu
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:50 AM