Is there a way to inject the name of a data flow transformation into the data flow itself as a column? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there a way to inject the name of a data flow transformation into the data flow itself as a column?

I know @[System::TaskName] will give the name of the Data Flow task but I am after the name of a transform - e.g. if I have a Lookup transform called 'Lookup Product', I would like to inject that on the (error) Data Flow.

Kind regards M

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:38 PM

All replies

• Use 

System::SourceName

in the parameter to log exact name of object in the destination data.

Thanks and Regards, Prajesh Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Did you tried,defining SSIS variable, and then specify the value of that variable as the name of the DFT. example, vTask=Lookup Product. Then in derived column transformation, drag this variable, into the pipeline...

Does this work for you?

Thanks, hsbal

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:23 PM
  • I guess you will not change your transforms name, once you developed the package.

Why don't you go for taking the transform name in a variable and use that wherever you want ?

Thanks

Sumit

Please mark it as helpful if it helps. Thanks Sumit BI - Integration Services

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:18 AM
  • SourceName is not a system variable available within the data flow. It is an Event handler system variable and I am not using an Event handler for this; mainly because you cannot create an event handler for a data flow transformation.

Let me clarify this, I do not want a data flow transformation to fail because 0.001% of the data that passes through it fails the transform (please note I include in this category a Lookup not yielding a match). I want to log the error and continue.

Kind regards M

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Harry/Sumit,

Thanks for the reply. This what we are using and it works; the only rub is that in a complex data flow - say 5 derived columns, 5 to 10 lookups, an OLE DB destination to insert data, and OLE DB command to handle SCD updates - there are a lot of derived columns to add.

It will be great to have some sort of built in reflection in the SSIS data flow. I have always felt this is lacking and have worked with SSIS since it came out in 2005.

Kind regards M

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:51 AM