Converted Macro RRS feed

• Question

• I have converted a search macro into, but I get an error.  I believe the correction would be to set the Tools/Reference, but I don't know which one.  Please assist.

Option Compare Database '------------------------------------------------------------ ' Search ' '------------------------------------------------------------ Function Search() On Error GoTo Search_Err With CodeContextObject If (Eval("[Form]![SearchBox] Is Null Or [Form]![SearchBox]=""""")) Then ' Clear Filter when search box empty DoCmd.ApplyFilter "", """""", "" DoCmd.GoToControl "SearchBox" DoCmd.SetProperty "cmdSearchClear", acPropertyVisible, "0" DoCmd.SetProperty "iconSearchClear", acPropertyVisible, "0" DoCmd.SetProperty "cmdSearchGo", acPropertyVisible, "-1" DoCmd.SetProperty "iconSearchGo", acPropertyVisible, "-1" End If If (Eval("[CurrentProject].[IsTrusted] And ([Form]![SearchBox] Is Null Or [Form]![SearchBox]="""")")) Then .SearchBox.Text = "" End If If (Eval("[Form]![SearchBox] Is Null Or [Form]![SearchBox]=""""")) Then End End If If (VarType(.Form!SearchBox) <> 8) Then End End If DoCmd.SetProperty "cmdSearchGo", acPropertyVisible, "-1" DoCmd.SetProperty "iconSearchGo", acPropertyVisible, "-1" If (Eval("([Form]![SearchBox] Is Null Or [Form]![SearchBox]="""") And [cmdSearchClear].[Visible]<>0")) Then DoCmd.SetProperty "cmdSearchClear", acPropertyVisible, "0" DoCmd.SetProperty "iconSearchClear", acPropertyVisible, "0" End End If ' Handle "'s in search TempVars.Add "strSearch", Replace(.Form!SearchBox, """", """""") ' Build the Filter for the Task list If (.Form.Name = "Task List") Then TempVars.Add "strFilter", "([Title] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )" End If If (.Form.Name = "Task List") Then TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Description] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )" End If If (.Form.Name = "Task List") Then TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Status] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )" End If If (.Form.Name = "Task List") Then TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Priority] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )" End If ' Build the Filter for the Contact list If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then TempVars.Add "strFilter", "([Last Name] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )" End If If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([First Name] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )" End If If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([E-mail Address] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )" End If If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Company] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )" End If If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Job Title] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )" End If If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Notes] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )" End If If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Zip/Postal Code] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )" End If ' Apply the Filter DoCmd.ApplyFilter "", TempVars!strFilter, "" TempVars.Remove "strFilter" TempVars.Remove "strSearch" DoCmd.SetProperty "cmdSearchClear", acPropertyVisible, "-1" DoCmd.SetProperty "iconSearchClear", acPropertyVisible, "-1" DoCmd.GoToControl "SearchBox" DoCmd.SetProperty "cmdSearchGo", acPropertyVisible, "-1" DoCmd.SetProperty "iconSearchGo", acPropertyVisible, "-1" End With Search_Exit: Exit Function Search_Err: MsgBox Error$ Resume Search_Exit

End Function

Monday, December 14, 2020 12:06 AM

All replies

• What error do you receive exactly?

When you get the error and if you debug it, which line of code gets highlighted as the error?

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2019 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Monday, December 14, 2020 12:57 AM
  • I receive a message that says, "The expression you entered refers to an object that is closed or doesn't exist."  It did not go to debug it, nor highlight a section.
    Monday, December 14, 2020 5:12 PM
  • You need "Option Explicit" at the top of each module.

Set it to be the default for new modules using Tools > Options > Require variable declaration.

Then use Debug > Compile and fix all compile errors.

Next, you need to understand that code like "DoCmd.GoToControl "SearchBox"" requires a form to be open and a SearchBox control to be present.

When this code runs and you get an error, hit Ctrl+Break and you will break into the debugger and then you can tell us which line is causing the problem. And maybe fix it on your own.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

• Proposed as answer by KHURRAM RAHIM Wednesday, December 16, 2020 7:23 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2020 5:19 PM
  • I receive a dialog box that states, "The expression you entered refers to an object that is closed or doesn't exist."
    Monday, December 14, 2020 9:24 PM
  • I have completed your recommendation and I still get the same error.  However, because of your CNTL Break trick the Resume  Search_Exit is highlight.  Any thoughts?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2020 1:02 AM
  • And then you did what I told you to do, and what happened?

When this code runs and you get an error, hit Ctrl+Break and you will break into the debugger and then you can tell us which line is causing the problem. And maybe fix it on your own.

Wednesday, December 16, 2020 1:18 AM
  • I still receive:  "The expression you entered refers to an object that is closed or doesn't exist."

Search_Exit is highlighted

Wednesday, December 16, 2020 3:27 AM
  • I still receive a dialog box that states, "The expression you entered refers to an object that is closed or doesn't exist.   The portion that is highlighted when I hit Ctrl+Break is:

Search_Exit

I am at a loss at what to do. 

Wednesday, December 16, 2020 4:54 PM
  • Hi 1775

I added row numbers to your code and an error handler using those row numbers.

Replace your code with mine and try again.

Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

'------------------------------------------------------------
    ' Search
    '
    '------------------------------------------------------------
    Function Search()

On Error GoTo Search_Error
    10        With CodeContextObject
    20            If (Eval("[Form]![SearchBox] Is Null Or [Form]![SearchBox]=""""")) Then
                      ' Clear Filter when search box empty
    30                DoCmd.ApplyFilter "", """""", ""
    40                DoCmd.GoToControl "SearchBox"
    50                DoCmd.SetProperty "cmdSearchClear", acPropertyVisible, "0"
    60                DoCmd.SetProperty "iconSearchClear", acPropertyVisible, "0"
    70                DoCmd.SetProperty "cmdSearchGo", acPropertyVisible, "-1"
    80                DoCmd.SetProperty "iconSearchGo", acPropertyVisible, "-1"
    90            End If
    100           If (Eval("[CurrentProject].[IsTrusted] And ([Form]![SearchBox] Is Null Or [Form]![SearchBox]="""")")) Then
    110               .SearchBox.Text = ""
    120           End If
    130           If (Eval("[Form]![SearchBox] Is Null Or [Form]![SearchBox]=""""")) Then
    140               End
    150           End If
    160           If (VarType(.Form!SearchBox) <> 8) Then
    170               End
    180           End If
    190           DoCmd.SetProperty "cmdSearchGo", acPropertyVisible, "-1"
    200           DoCmd.SetProperty "iconSearchGo", acPropertyVisible, "-1"
    210           If (Eval("([Form]![SearchBox] Is Null Or [Form]![SearchBox]="""") And [cmdSearchClear].[Visible]<>0")) Then
    220               DoCmd.SetProperty "cmdSearchClear", acPropertyVisible, "0"
    230               DoCmd.SetProperty "iconSearchClear", acPropertyVisible, "0"
    240               End
    250           End If
                  ' Handle "'s in search
    260           TempVars.Add "strSearch", Replace(.Form!SearchBox, """", """""")
                  ' Build the Filter for the Task list
    270           If (.Form.Name = "Task List") Then
    280               TempVars.Add "strFilter", "([Title] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )"
    290           End If
    300           If (.Form.Name = "Task List") Then
    310               TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Description] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )"
    320           End If
    330           If (.Form.Name = "Task List") Then
    340               TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Status] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )"
    350           End If
    360           If (.Form.Name = "Task List") Then
    370               TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Priority] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )"
    380           End If
                  ' Build the Filter for the Contact list
    390           If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then
    400               TempVars.Add "strFilter", "([Last Name] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )"
    410           End If
    420           If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then
    430               TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([First Name] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )"
    440           End If
    450           If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then
    460               TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([E-mail Address] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )"
    470           End If
    480           If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then
    490               TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Company] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )"
    500           End If
    510           If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then
    520               TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Job Title] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )"
    530           End If
    540           If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then
    550               TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Notes] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )"
    560           End If
    570           If (.Form.Name = "Contact List") Then
    580               TempVars.Add "strFilter", TempVars!strFilter & " OR ([Zip/Postal Code] Like "" * " & [TempVars]![strSearch] & " * "" )"
    590           End If
                  ' Apply the Filter
    600           DoCmd.ApplyFilter "", TempVars!strFilter, ""
    610           TempVars.Remove "strFilter"
    620           TempVars.Remove "strSearch"
    630           DoCmd.SetProperty "cmdSearchClear", acPropertyVisible, "-1"
    640           DoCmd.SetProperty "iconSearchClear", acPropertyVisible, "-1"
    650           DoCmd.GoToControl "SearchBox"
    660           DoCmd.SetProperty "cmdSearchGo", acPropertyVisible, "-1"
    670           DoCmd.SetProperty "iconSearchGo", acPropertyVisible, "-1"
    680       End With

On Error GoTo 0
        Exit Function

Search_Error:

MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " (" & Err.Description & ") in procedure Search, line " & Erl & "."

End Function

Cheers // Peter Forss Stockholm

Wednesday, December 16, 2020 5:43 PM
  • @Peter:

On Error GoTo 0
        Exit Function

What is the purpose of that first line? I don't get it.

Thursday, December 17, 2020 3:07 AM
  • Hi Tom

the row numbers and error handler is generated by MZ tools (add in).

The information I have is this one:

Example: On Error GoTo 0

After the first error is raised, you will receive the error as error handling has been disabled.

Sub OnErrorGotoZeroTest()

On Error GoTo 0

Err.Raise Number:=9999, Description:="Forced Error"

End Sub

Thursday, December 17, 2020 7:00 AM
  • I am not sure what this means, but after I run it a Dialog box pops open and I receive the following:

There was an error compiling this function.
    The Visual Basic module contains a syntax error.
    check the code, and then recompile it.

Saturday, December 19, 2020 4:03 AM
  • UPDATE:  I realized there was an error in the code, but was able to get it to work.  I now receive the following when i run the new code you provided: 

Error 2467 (The expression you entered refers to an object that is closed or doesn't exist.) in procedure Search, Line 10.

What does this mean?

Wednesday, December 23, 2020 4:27 PM
  • Hi 1775

What if you delete row 10 and 680 ?

Sunday, January 3, 2021 8:18 AM