Silent/Unattended install of Kinect SDK? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello..

A couple of our schools are extremely interested in using the Kinect SDK as part of the curriculum.

Before they can go ahead with this, though, we need a method of installing the Kinect SDK silently (Unattended).

I've downloaded the latest version (1.7), and there doesn't appear to be any unattended switches supported. That I can see, anyway.

I feel this is a request you are going to see increasingly often as more and more educational establishments wish to use Kinect.

It doesn't need to be an MSI, incidentally. Though if it is, that isn't a problem :)

Gerard

Monday, May 20, 2013 9:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Unfortunately at this time the Kinect for Windows SDK does not support a silent install option. It is a feature that has been requested, but due to EULA requirements the installer must require user interaction.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/a5b04520-e437-48e3-ba22-e2cdb46b4d62

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/d7e7c686-a009-4491-9e5c-35cd554aaad0

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:56 PM
  • There is another post that I had posted it in (cannot post link currently), however it was quite a bit older. You are able to package this if you are a university. And here is what I did:

I could not find any silent switches in the Microsoft Kinect SDK 1.7 installation .exe. However, I did find a way to silently install it.

Before you begin you will need to download the Wix toolset (This along with the burn bootstrapper) were used to compile the installation exe. You can find the Wix toolset here: http://wixtoolset.org/

A. The first step I did was retrieve the Windows Installer XML manifest file.

1. Extract the Microsoft Kinect SDK 1.7 Installation using 7zip or Winrar.

2. The first file in the extracted folder is named "0" and that is the manifest file.

Note: You can open it in Notepad++ and auto-format the XML using the XML tools plugin.

B. The next step I did was decompile the installation exe using the Wix toolset.

1. Use the dark.exe tool that came with Wix to decompile the exe. The command is:

dark.exe path-to-installation.exe -x path-to-folder

2. Navigate to the folder you extracted to and you will find two folders. Enter the folder called "AttachedContainer" and you will find all the msi's needed to install the SDK.

C. When creating your silent install package you need to install the msi's in order. You can find the order in the manifest file that you grabbed earlier.

Here is the silent installation file I created (Minus the file clean-up of course):

msiexec /i "%~dp0vcredist_x64.msi" /qn /norestart

msiexec /i "%~dp0KinectDrivers-v1.7-x64.WHQL.msi" /qn /norestart

msiexec /i "%~dp0KinectRuntime-v1.7-x64.msi" /qn /norestart

msiexec /i "%~dp0KinectSDK-v1.7-x64.msi" /qn /norestart

msiexec /i "%~dp0SpeechPlatformRuntime_x64.msi" /qn /norestart

msiexec /i "%~dp0MSKinectLangPack_enUS.msi" /qn /norestart

And the Uninstall Script:

MsiExec.exe /X{7DC40FDF-C442-4E5A-AD50-1AAFDCA9DC37}

MsiExec.exe /X{B21057EB-E950-43A3-9196-4A59C9867B6C}

MsiExec.exe /X{3B433087-E62E-4BF5-97F9-4AF6E1C2409C}

If you follow those steps you shouldn’t have any problems!!

University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire - Student Administrator

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:02 PM
  • While technically feasible, it is still *NOT Supported*. There have been no changes to the EULA to support such a solution. There are caveats and terms in the EULA that require the end-user to agree to. If you have a particular scenario and requirement, please have your Microsoft account manager contact the Kinect for Windows team to discuss the specifics for silent install.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:10 PM