none
About Report Designer in future. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Well, I have a question.

I think not comfortable install VS or SQL Server for creating reports.

Why Microsoft do not create stand-alone Report Designer?

I want give users the ability create reports, how I can built-in Report Designer into my Application?

Sorry for my English.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 12:18 PM

Answers

• We are looking at ways to provide a standalone designer as well as reusable designer controls.  While this is not yet available, you can get a feel for what we are looking at in the latest SQL Server 2008 CTP.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:45 AM

All replies

• Microsoft provides a Report Builder when your end user purchases SQL Server 2005 with Reporting Services. You cannot embed the designer into your application. Microsoft wants to sell SQL Server licenses, so that's the reason that they do not provide this capability to you.

If you would like to try an alternate solution, you can look at DevExpress XtraReports Suite. This component is not compatible with SQL Server Reporting Services or the RDL report format, but it is a very good product and it includes an end user report designer that you can place in your application.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 11:30 PM
  • We are looking at ways to provide a standalone designer as well as reusable designer controls.  While this is not yet available, you can get a feel for what we are looking at in the latest SQL Server 2008 CTP.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:45 AM
  • It's important to have a stand alone designer because the only way to design reports now is install VS2005/2008.

The report design is an activity not only for "programmers", sometimes other people may help designing a report and you can't ask them to install Visual studio only for the report editing.

We are going to try the only standalone designer available now RDL Project , It seems to be compatible with the RDL format.

Best Regards

Matteo Conta
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 10:06 PM
  •  matteo conta wrote:

We are going to try the only standalone designer available now RDL Project , It seems to be compatible with the RDL format.

Hey,

you can contact me anmichael@hotmail.com. I have implemet the fyiReporting in my application. I can say some details if you want

Greets

MyKey0815

Sunday, February 3, 2008 10:58 PM
  • Can you tell me how the editor will be improved in the future releases?

Are there any posts that talks about this?

We have found very usefull to insert data in the report in xml format using the report parameters.

We use this xml to set default values on the report and to enable the server (asp.net application) loading the report with advanced data explaining what the report does.

Does the ReportViewer Team thinking about to insert a simple "xml editor" in the report builder for parameters of xml type?

Best regards,

Matteo Conta

Sunday, February 3, 2008 11:21 PM
  • I look code for fyiReporting and I think it some difficalt.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 9:58 AM
  • I look code of fyiReporting and I think it some difficult.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:25 AM