MultiLanguage site best practice RRS feed

• Question

• User-884348757 posted

Hi there,

I am developing a multi language site that has 40 languages. The database is relatively small both data and table Count.

I need to display the contents in 40 different languages.

Whats the best way to go about this?

should I translate the content and store the translated data in the database (40 different times)?

should I translate the content at runtime using a translation service like google translate?

or what?

its the large number of languages thats scary.

Monday, October 25, 2010 1:28 PM

Answers

• User-342606376 posted

there is no online translator service that will give you 40 accurate translation , if this feature is very important you will need to do it your self

if not try to use google translate and that is it.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:29 PM

All replies

• User-342606376 posted

just create the 40 language pack and make other resource or Technical writer fill them for you , so you keep working

while site is translated.

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/uploadfile/mosessaur/aspnetlocalization02042006165851pm/aspnetlocalization.aspx?articleid=96602e53-0fb1-44ec-a67b-1c68b05eb2e1

Monday, October 25, 2010 2:31 PM
  • User-884348757 posted

thnks 4 the quick reply, but my question was abt the contents which is inputed by users and stored in a database.

whats the best practice here? store the same content 40 times in the database in different languages(any guidelines)? create seperate db for each language? create 40 versions of each table? store everything in english and have a  web service translate it at runtime(know any service)?

I didnt mean the resources.  

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:15 PM
  • User1266497125 posted

You could create one lookup table with languages and ID of each language, then create another table where you have Translation, like:

TranslationId int,

LanguageId int,

AspNetPageName varchar(256),

Contents nvarchar(MAX) 

This is just something from top of my mind. You might not agree with the design, but the design is your decision and totally up to you.

As for the translation, it is always better to have a human being translating it. I had a translation done by Google Translation a few months ago and it made no sense whatsoever.

In a case like yours, you should keep it in a database for the sake of maintenance and administration. If you have a simple requirement then keep everything in one table, but if you have any special requirements then plan your architecture in as much details as possible.

Take care,

Huske

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:40 AM
  • User-342606376 posted

there is no online translator service that will give you 40 accurate translation , if this feature is very important you will need to do it your self

if not try to use google translate and that is it.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:29 PM