none
Outlook Add In Not Loading RRS feed

• Question

• My Outlook add in does not load after install.

Load Behaviour in the COM Add-Ins section says:
    Not loaded. A runtime error occured during the loading of the COM Add-in.

I noticed in the Reg Edit, that the Load Behaviour is 2. Despite when I built it I set it as 3?

It currently appears under Inactive Application Add-ins rather than Active or Disabled.

Friday, June 19, 2015 6:40 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your help guys, I sorted it in the end. I forgot to tick the Primary Output box when going through the InstallShield deployment stages. Simple error on my part :)
    • Marked as answer by L.HlModerator Tuesday, August 4, 2015 9:54 AM
    Saturday, June 20, 2015 12:06 PM

All replies

• Any ideas?
    Friday, June 19, 2015 7:32 PM
  • See https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/57b71e9c-1ebe-4f44-a3ba-5e163ff6f28a/add-in-tab-not-visible-in-outlook-2013?forum=outlookdev for Eugene Astafiev's response for various reasons that an addin can be disabled

Friday, June 19, 2015 7:33 PM
  • Did you have a chance to check out the Trust Center settings in Outlook? Is Macro Security applied to add-ins as well?

Most probably an exception is thrown in the code. I'd suggest adding any logging mechanisms to the code (for example, log4net) to see what's going on under the hood at runtime.

Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again.

Read more about that in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article in MSDN.

P.S. Also you may find the Troubleshooting COM Add-In load failures page helpful.

Friday, June 19, 2015 9:07 PM
  • Thanks for your help guys, I sorted it in the end. I forgot to tick the Primary Output box when going through the InstallShield deployment stages. Simple error on my part :)
    • Marked as answer by L.HlModerator Tuesday, August 4, 2015 9:54 AM
    Saturday, June 20, 2015 12:06 PM