none
Using CCF AdminConsole to connect to multiple environments RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have been using CCF Admin Console to connect to multiple environments (Development, acceptance, production) where environment has a different CCF server & database. With one instance of MMC, I could connect to multiple servers and manage them. All this works fine with CCF 2005.

I have started using CCF 2009 AdminConsole and have noticed few things. I've not installed the AdminConsole but copied over the 'Administrative Tools' directory from a server (result of a Single machine install) onto my macine. After doing this, I've updated the 'system32' directory with the required files and also copied the mmc.exe.config. I've modified the config file to point to one of the environments. When I open the AdminConsole.msc I am able to connect to this server. However, when I connect to another server and open a hosted application it does not show the correct information for that hosted application and in fact shows a different hosted app details.

My question is whether it is not possible to connect to mutliple servers using the 2009 AdminConsole. If so, how can we achieve this? Also, how would one manage the AzManCCF.xml to connect to different servers? In 2005, we never had problems managing groups using AzManCCF.xml file.

When performing such upgrade from 2005 to 2009, what is the best approach to updating the AzManCCF.xml file so that we do not loose the 2005 groups and application mappings?

Any information or suggestions regarding this would greatly help.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:41 PM

All replies

• Odd...

Are you seeing hosted apps from the previous server?  and if you refresh the image do they update correctly?

also in the 09 admin console you can connect more then one server at the same time,  is this how you are doing it? or are you disconnecting and reconnecting?

- matt B.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Matt, using 2009 admin console I can connect to multiple servers at same time. For example, if I connect to 'server1' I see all the hosted applications. The 'mmc.exe.config' has entires tied to this server1. If I connect to another server - say 'server2' (while I am connected to server1) I can see the list of new hosted applications and groups tied to server2, but when I open a hosted application I am getting a 'Unable to execute GetHostedApplicationDetails against the database' as a result of SqlClient.SQlException: Could not find user entry for WorkflowID'.

I would like to mention that we have changed our database names for each environment like CcfInfrastructureD1, CcfInfrastructureD2 & so on but they are all located on a single instance of SQL server.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:29 PM
  • So you have :
    Server1 - CcfInfrastructureD1
    Server2 - CcfInfrastructureD2

you are connecting from a workstation.. ? or the same server?

I assume that there are two different admin websites?  configured with the correct database information?

You can View data properly between the between the CCF Servers, but when you edit it fails?

- mattB

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:23 PM
  • Matt, you are right. If I am connecting from workstation I can only connect to Server 1 (mmc.exe.config points to this server) and perform viewing and updating the hosted applications. But if I connect to Server2 from my workstation then the hosted applications appear to be not in sync when I open it's properties. For example, if I open sampleApp1 then I am seeing the sampleApp2 details. And for some applications, I receive the error from above. Does this mean that there might be something wrong with my AzManCCF.xml file? When I access 'Groups' on Server2 I am getting the same information of a similar group on Server1. If that group isn't there, then I am getting a 'ADM0112 - Unable to retrieve the requested information'

If I am using AdminConsole on Server1 (where I can do everything related to Server1) and then connect to Server2 I run into the same type of issue as with the workstation.  This happens to be the same case even if I use admin console on Server2.

Also, as you mentioned above, there are 2 different admin web sites and configured with correct database information.

Thanks, SKSR
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:17 PM
  • Matt, I wanted to list some of my observations here:

If the mmc.exe.config on my workstation is pointing to Server2, then this is the behavior when we have connected to 2 servers:

- When we are viewing HostedApplications for Server1, and select a particular application to open it's properties. It's using ApplicationID from Server1 but when retrieving the details it is querying against the Server2 using this ApplicationID and displaying different application details. If this ApplicationID is not present in Server2, then it is throwing the error I mentioned earlier - 'Unable to execute GetHostedApplicationDetails against the database' as a result of SqlClient.SQlException: Could not find user entry for WorkflowID'.
    - If I am doing the similar operations against Server2, everything works just fine.

- When I view the Groups for Server1, I see only the groups listed on Server1. But when I open a group, it is displaying the members of Server2. If I open a group and if that group is not on Server2, then I am getting the error - 'ADM0112 - Unable to retrieve the requested information'.
    - If I am doing the similart operations against Server2, everything works just fine.

- All the other operations that we could do in AdminConsole work fine displaying the details for their respective servers. For Ex: if I look at a provider in Configurations against Server1 it is displaying the expected value that is stored in Server2 database.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:46 PM
  • Ok, I need to look into this a bit more,  I have not colo’d 2 CCF Servers on the same machine before.

For dev I usually use Security Extensions to work with different configs or a lightweight VPC running a web server with the CCF server bits and security extensions to access the server.

-       mattB

Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:07 PM
  • Thanks for looking into this Matt. I wanted to make clear - that Server1 and Server2 are entirely different machines both running CCF 2009 SP1 on a 2003 server 64bit WOW. Both these servers have different databases, both of which located on a single SQL instance with different database names.

Server1 - CcfInfrastructureD1
    Server2 - CcfInfrastructureD2

Thanks SKSR
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Matt, just wanted to check if you were able to find any information regarding this.

I had an alternate solution to switch the environments (servers). However, this would rule out the possibility to access multiple environments within the same instance of MMC. I have to dig in deep to find out the actual issue. At this point thought, it is looking like that having different database names is possibly causing this issue.

Thanks,
    SKSR
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:35 PM
  • We've found that the admin console cannot connect to two different CCF servers. Not all of the web service endpoints are calculated using the server name that you enter in the admin console. This means those endpoints are used from the mmc.exe.config which is the server you installed the admin console for.

We just end up installing the admin console on every ccf server and remote desktop to them.

Hope this is fixed in the next version!
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:47 AM
  • You are right about adminconsole using the endpoints in the mmc.exe.config. However, there is also a connection string within this config that wouldn't work for those who have SQL server different from the IIS server. Also, if they have different SQL servers in different environments, this is not going to work unlike the CCF 2005 admin console.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:50 PM