none
Can I Turn Off Recycle Bin in ICE RRS feed

• Question

• Hopefully an easy question.

Does anyone know if I can turn off the Recycle Bin using ICE and if so in which component/setting.

Alternatively should I do this using a registry setting...again if so what would the key/value be?

Many thanks.

Monday, May 18, 2015 1:39 PM

Answers

• No, but you can either create a custom group policy that disables the recycle bin or use a registry key to disable the recycle bin - http://www.techulator.com/resources/4178-How-disable-Recycle-Bin-Windows.aspx

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by S P Wiggins Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by S P Wiggins Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by S P Wiggins Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:10 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2015 11:44 PM
  • Hi Sean

Thanks for the reply.

So I have resolved it now, after your group policy suggestion it got me to investigate the registry value altered when adjusting the required group policy setting. So using Regshot I identified the following key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\
    DWORD: NoRecycleFiles
    Value: 1

This is of course a different key to the one identified in the earlier link.

This key successfully disables the Recycle Bin as required.

Thought this post may be useful for anyone else looking for a solution

Regards

Steve W

Monday, July 25, 2016 12:23 PM

All replies

• No, but you can either create a custom group policy that disables the recycle bin or use a registry key to disable the recycle bin - http://www.techulator.com/resources/4178-How-disable-Recycle-Bin-Windows.aspx

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by S P Wiggins Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by S P Wiggins Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by S P Wiggins Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:10 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2015 11:44 PM
  • Hi Sean

Thanks for your reply, that is what I thought was the case, but good the confirm.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:12 AM
  • Hi

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have only just realised this is not working for me. I enter the key as described in the quoted resource 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket
    DWORD Name: NukeOnDelete
    DWORD Value : 1

This does not prevent attempting to move file to recycle bin on delete, this is causing a problem with fbwf turned on

I noted that when changing settings via the recycle icon from the desktop the following key changes
    KEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\Volume\{GUID}
    DWORD Name: NukeOnDelete

If I edit the above value in this registry key then the effect is a expected.....but of course the drive GUID will be different for every build so I cannot use this in my production environment

Any ideas why using the HKLM version is not working.

As a test I deleted all of the GUID keys from the above HKCU key in the registry, with the HKLM 'NukeOnDelete' set to 1 also. I then rebooted. After reboot new GUID's had been created but the value of 'NukeOnDelete' for them was zero.

Any ideas good people?

Many thanks

Friday, July 22, 2016 1:28 PM
  • What about the group policy?

Otherwise you would have to write a script or program that get the drive GUID and sets the key.

Saturday, July 23, 2016 12:10 AM
  • Hi Sean

Thanks for the reply.

So I have resolved it now, after your group policy suggestion it got me to investigate the registry value altered when adjusting the required group policy setting. So using Regshot I identified the following key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\
    DWORD: NoRecycleFiles
    Value: 1

This is of course a different key to the one identified in the earlier link.

This key successfully disables the Recycle Bin as required.

Thought this post may be useful for anyone else looking for a solution

Regards

Steve W

Monday, July 25, 2016 12:23 PM