Tablix & Related Line Height RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I'm creating a report where the body is consumed entirely by a tablix. In addition, I've placed vertical lines in between the tablix columns in hopes that these lines will run from the header to the footer sections regardless of how many rows are in the tablix. For instance, if the body can contain 4 rows of data and only 1 is returned, I still want 4 row high lines for consistency. 

My problem is that the line height reflects the tablix height, not the body height. This is even though the end point is 2.2in (the body is 2.2in high) below the start of the start point, 0. 

What could be causing this? Is there any way to create lines that will do what I need without going the route I've gone?

Monday, November 3, 2014 8:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Jody,

I recommend you that submit this suggestion at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/

If the suggestion mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add the feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Thanks for  your understanding!

Regards
    Vicky Liu

• Marked as answer by Jody_N Sunday, November 30, 2014 7:53 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 1:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Jody_N,

According to your description that you have some problem with the height setting of the vertical lines which you have placed in between the tablix columns, you want the lines to get the same height with the entire page and also not change although the numbers of rows changed, but the setting not work, right?

If you have added the Line inside textbox of the table and surely it will reflects the tablix height and the height will grow or decrease base on the numbers of the rows. If the line is outside the tablix, your problem is almost always caused by the body height plus margins is smaller than the page Height and you will see blank space.  So make sure the Total Body Size (Body height + Top margin + Bottom margin) is less than or equal to the physical page size: Body Height <= Page Height - (Top Margin + Bottom Margin).

I have tested on my local environment and it work fine, if you want these lines to run from the header to the footer sections regardless of how many rows are in the tablix, you can add the vertical line outside the Tablix and put it between the Columns and  then first set Body Height <= Page Height - (Top Margin + Bottom Margin), then set the vertical value of the line in the EndPoint to have  the same size as the body.

Please following the steps below to check all the related properties of size.

1. Right click on Report area and select the Report Properties
    2. Make a note of the values for Page Height, Top margin, Bottom margin
    3. Close and go back to the design surface
    4. In the Properties window, select Body
    5. Click the + symbol to expand the Size node
    6. Make a note of the value for Height
      Please reset the size to make sure to meet this condition: Body Height + Top margin + Bottom margin <=Page Height(9+1+1 <=11).
    7. Select the Line and in the properties window expand the Endpoint and set the vertical value the same as the Body Height(9).

Please provide me more information thus we can be more efficiency to provide an solution if I have some misunderstanding.
    If you still have any question, please feel free to ask

Regards
    Vicky Liu

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:34 AM
  • Vicky, 

Thank you for the comprehensive response. 

My report is a 8.5x11 document with .2" margins all around. It consists of a header which is 5.7in tall, a body which is 2.2in tall and a footer which is 2.7in tall. 

With that in mind, all I want is the line to stretch the entire 2.2" length of the body regardless of how much data the tablix has in it whereas currently the lines simply run the height of the tablix (determined by how many rows are returned), not the body of the report itself. 

I would post a picture but my account hasn't been validated yet. 

Keep in mind this only happens in Print Layout mode or when actually printed. 

Edit: I might add that this only seems to happen on multi-page reports; on single-page reports they extend correctly. 
    • Edited by Jody_N Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:29 PM
  • Hi Jody_N,

According to your description that you the line you added in the report will repeat on every page correctly when preview, but only display on the first page in the print layout, right?

Generally we have two kind of rendering Behaviors:

1. hard page- break renderers(PDF, Image, Print)
    2. Soft page- break renderers(Word, HTML, MHTML, Word and Excel)

Depending on the renderer you select, certain rules are applied to the report body and its contents when rendering a report. How report items fit together on a page is determined by the combination of these factors:

1. Rendering rules.
    2. The width and height of report items.
    3. The size of the report body.
    4. The width and height of the page.
    5. Renderer-specific support for paging.

I have tested on my local environment and can reproduce the issue. The issue due to the print is the hard page break renderers. If you want to repeat items to the next page we should reference below rules:

1. Logical page breaks, the page breaks that you explicitly insert, are applied to report items. These page breaks can cause report items to push other items to the next page.
    2. If a physical page break occurs through report items that must be kept together, the items that must be kept together are moved to the next page

But the line don’t have the properties do make it  have the page break function, so it only display in the first page. This issue also appear in the PDF. So If you had to add this line, you can create an rectangle and put the line in the rectangle, then put the rectangle to the new column of the table, this method can get the line repeat on every page but its height is same height as the total rows in one page.

Article below about the details information of rendering behaviors for your reference:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd255244.aspx

If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Regards
    Vicky Liu

• Edited by Vicky_Liu Thursday, November 6, 2014 1:15 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Vicky_Liu Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:14 AM
    Thursday, November 6, 2014 12:56 AM
  • Thanks Vicky, do you think this would be considered a bug?

Jody Nichols

Thursday, November 6, 2014 6:10 PM
  • Hi Jody,

I recommend you that submit this suggestion at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/

If the suggestion mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add the feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Thanks for  your understanding!

Regards
    Vicky Liu

• Marked as answer by Jody_N Sunday, November 30, 2014 7:53 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 1:52 AM