Scenario To Play Video or Audio. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Need some suggestions of how best I could embed or play video/audio into the app.

Scenario: Our app will be receiving video or audio source in the form of url's like(http://XXX/XXX/XXX.wmv). The formats of audio and video could be any(like .mp3,.mp4,.wma.wmv etc.). As far as I know the audio or video tags could not render .wmv and .wma formats. I need to have a situation that commonly handles all of them.

Some alternatives what I taught of and struggling with are:

1.Launch Video/Audio App  store apps programmatically(if possible). LaunchUri Async will launch IE but not this apps. Is there any possibility to launch them programmatically with Url as source?

2. Else downloading those files and then launching them. But this might not be feasible because the size of audio/video is so large, could not be wait up till those are downloaded.  

Could some one better help me on this perspective any other best way to accomplish these.

Thanks & Regards Tejaswi Chandrapatla

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:23 PM

All replies

• I don't understand your first question. LaunchUriAsync is for launching URLs programmatically. It cannot control the app chosen to open the URL.

If this is central to your app and the HTML video tag doesn't handle them you might want to consider xaml. The xaml MediaElement plays the types you mention.

--Rob

Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Hello Rob,

As we are getting an Url, Im just trying to find out is there any method that allows my app to launch a specific to play audio/video accordingly.

Do I need to switch entire app for xaml then? any other pugins that could help me out here?

Thanks & Regards Tejaswi Chandrapatla

Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Plug-ins aren't supported. I'm not familiar enough with the video tag to know if there are other options for HTML beyond your statement that there weren't, but I do know that the types you mentioned can be played in Xaml.

If you don't need the item to play inside your app then you can launch the URL to play in the default handler for that type. It may or may not be IE, depending on the user's choice.

--Rob

Friday, November 1, 2013 12:35 AM