Launch Metro IE in kiosk mode from a metro app.

Question

• I have to launch Metro IE in kiosk mode from my metro app.

Need help...

Please find my sample code.

string htmlFile = @"Assets\OpenBrowser.html";
    StorageFolder InstallationFolder = Windows.ApplicationModel.Package.Current.InstalledLocation;
    StorageFile file = await InstallationFolder.GetFileAsync(htmlFile);
    await Launcher.LaunchFileAsync(file);

I Have the following settings

1: Internet Explorer is the default browser.

2: Internet options set to open Metro IE not IE Desktop.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:45 PM

Answers

• No. Windows Store apps have no control over what apps they launch or how the app handles being launched. That is up to how the user configured the system.

The launcher is more similar to typing the URL in the run command. It is not explicitly IE and cannot include command line arguments or other control mechanisms outside of the URL itself.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:29 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I'm not sure exactly what you mean. You state what you are doing but not the desired results or how they differ from the actual results.

Windows Store apps have no control over what apps they launch or how the app handles being launched. That is up to how the user configured the system.

If you need help configuring your system the TechNet forums are more appropriate.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:05 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My issue is I am looking something similar to following command

"iexplore -k http://www.bing.com/" 

I feel the Launcher behavior is similar to the command  

"iexplore http://www.bing.com/" 

My app should launch IE in kiosk mode which is similar to run the first command.

Can this behavior be achieved from Metro apps.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:26 PM
  • No. Windows Store apps have no control over what apps they launch or how the app handles being launched. That is up to how the user configured the system.

The launcher is more similar to typing the URL in the run command. It is not explicitly IE and cannot include command line arguments or other control mechanisms outside of the URL itself.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:29 PM
    Owner