SP2007 No item exists at http//:..../..../..../....EditForm.aspx?ID=64 It may have been renamed or deleted by another user. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom list I created to house internal award nominations for employees. I created a workflow for this list, which makes various checks against the state of the nomination form and emails appropriate parties to action (editing the form usually) and then completes.

The edit form itself is just the regular out of box editform.aspx , which I edited in SharePoint Designer to do some minor row hiding based on whether the current user is also the Created By user for the item; this was done with jQuery and SPServices.  Basically this is because no workflow options actually severed the author's editing permissions (something we want to sever after the item is created for our system).

In the workflow process the award approver is given a link to the editform for the item. When any of my test users get this email, and click on the link to go to the editform.aspx they get the error in the title (obviously with all site related information filled in).

I have found "answers" in my google searching, but to be honest I have no idea how to do some of the solutions. I come here to ask that if someone knows how to answer this problem that they answer it in such a step by step method that my 4 year old could understand it and do it if necessary. Assume I did everything in SPDesigner by complete accident.  :)

Thank you for your time and assistance. 

Friday, July 15, 2016 7:45 PM

Answers

• I figured it out. Kind of by accident.

I noticed that all of the other functioning workflows for our site (I did not make them) all had attached .aspx in the workflow folder inside SPD. The .aspx has a data view on it and some code. Most of it appears to be some level declarative variable code. It redefines the ID into CustomID and does this with a couple other fields used on nearly every form/list.

I added the .aspx and data view, then changed the List Settings > Advanced Setttings > Read and Edit to All instead of the Only Theirs options.

This immediately fixed the entire issue. I haven't gone through this data view code yet, but I will.

I just wanted to come back here and say "Thank You, Sebastian" for your patience and help. I do appreciate it.

• Marked as answer by Kenderkenobi Wednesday, July 20, 2016 12:13 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

sounds not that complicated ;)

First of all we had to identify the root cause of the problem. There please check if the URL send by the workflow is correct for the list and then please check if the item id is correct for your item.

The error message indicates that the URL to the list is correct, but the item you want to edt is not availble due to deleting or renaming. The Problem could be that the URL generated ba the worklfow is fixed and not dynimaclly generated to the related record. To solve the problem, check the email from the workflow and the URL in there.

Best regard

Sebastian

If this helps please mark it answer or Vote As Helpful.

Friday, July 15, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Hi Sebastian,

The links are correct.  In the workflow I created a string which contained the portion for:

http//:..../..../..../....EditForm.aspx?ID=

Then I did a lookup -> This item -> ID. SO it's pulling the ID directly from the item.

This string I named LinkID and then call that variable in the email generated by the "Send Email" action. 

I feel like there's a permissions deal going on, because as the admin, when I click the link from the email (had a tester forward it to me) it takes me directly to the proper item's editform.aspx. 

However, I double check the permissions and everything is legit on that end.

Saturday, July 16, 2016 12:51 AM
  • Hi,

sounds like the link to the item is not the problem, so let' have a look at the permissions.

Some additional questions:

• Do you use unique permissions for the list or the items?
    • Is the workflow configured to use privelege rigths?
    • Do you use versioning on your list? If you use minor versions only shared by the editing user could cause the problem ...

If you can find something that restrict the item for the users, please tell me.  

Best regards

Sebastian

Saturday, July 16, 2016 9:27 PM
  • Good questions, thank you Sebastian, this list does inherit the parent site's permissions. However, because we do not want employees to see the award nominations of other employees (these are monetary awards)  I do manipulate the permissions through the workflow. I will detail the workflow below:

This work flow centers around a Nominator (item Creator), Nominee, and the Approver (management who "ok's" the award).

1. Set variables (create variables for all of the people involved, email titles, and links used in emails)
    2. Delete all permissions for All Employees, so no one can see the nomination. Obviously as stated in my first post I know this does not keep the Creator from going in and editing the item.
    3. Check if the Creator is the also the Approver in the item if so email the Creator informing them they must change the Approver. The workflow pauses until the Approver field != the Created By field
    4. Once step 3 is checked or corrected, set Contribute permission to Approver and send email with the link to the item editform.aspx. Workflow pauses until Status field is changed. !!! THIS is where the error occurs !!!
    5. If Approved permissions for the Nominated and the Approver are set to Read. Email is sent to all parties that the award has been approved. Else if Declined, sets Approver permission to Read and emails the Creator that their award nomination has been declined.

In the actual list settings, under advanced settings, I have Read Access and Edit Access both checked for "Only Their Own".

Monday, July 18, 2016 11:39 AM
  • Ah okay ... thanks for the additional Information - I think I got the problem you are running into.

The configurationn for the user in step 4 is like the following description:

• all users are without permissions to hide the information of other persons
    • the list configuration for versioning in the list are configured to create major and minor versions
    • the minor versions are restricted to the author and users with approval rigths
    • in the workflow the "approval" user will get the contibute rigths

The problem is that you want single users to get access to the document with contibute rigths, but you have configured the list so that a user needs approval rigths.

So try to solve the problem with the following steps:

• create a new permission level based on contribute but with approval rigths for the documents
    • use that new permission level in step 4 of your workflow

Hope this will help you!

Best regards

Sebastian

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:15 PM
  • I somewhat modified your suggestion. Our overall site has a Design permission which is basically Contribute, but it also have Approval attached to it. I switched the workflow to Design but the error persists with my test users.

Experimenting with different work arounds I also created a new column named CustomID. In the workflow I set CustomID to equal ID. Then I modified the links to go to EditForm.aspx?CustomID=  and this not only did NOT work, but it also had the effect that the link would take them to a new form that did not have any of the other javascript attached to it. But that's an aside just to illustrate that I am also trying to find other avenues to fix this.

And so I am clear on what I am seeing here is the error, with site edited out.

http:

//uploads.im/GOVIs.png

Monday, July 18, 2016 5:58 PM
  • Can we first check if the approval user has the appropriate permission on the list item?

• User gets the email > link is not working
    • User goes manually to the list and try to edit the item

If this is not working (the user is not able to see the item) we are looking for a permission Problem otherwise it could be a Problem in the view (user is not able to open the view or a JavaScript file ...)

Best Regards

Sebastian

Monday, July 18, 2016 6:18 PM
  • I can confirm that at step 4 the user's permission for the item is set appropriately. However all of my testers are in meetings for the rest of the day.

However, however, I noticed that the same user that is set to Design for the item, it set to Limited for the list.

EDIT:

Just confirmed. Test users, while their permissions are as I started above, are getting that error when following the link AND when trying to edit the item directly from the list view.

Monday, July 18, 2016 6:28 PM
  • The limited access rigths is a minimal permission level from SharePoint to allow the user access to the list. So it should not be a problem to open the edit form. You said you are using some JavaScripts on the EditForm? Did you check if all users have read permissions on the related Script files?

Best regards

Sebastian

Monday, July 18, 2016 6:49 PM
  • The javascript I used I embedded inline on the actual editform.aspx itself. There is also minor code on the newform.aspx. I do not know how I could grant permissions to the .js file if I had used one. The code is so minor that I didn't think it required its own .js file.

All users when using the newform have zero issues and the code works as intended.

Monday, July 18, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Ok, I just conducted an experiment where I removed everyone in the entire company from the permissions for the list. I granted limited access to one employee. They could then go in and create the item.

The approver's permissions were not added to the item. Also, and this surprised me, the item creator was not allowed to go back in and edit the item, even from list view. So, despite using the Grant Permission action in the workflow, permissions are not being given to the users.

What magic must be wielded in order to get the workflow to add the proper permissions to the corresponding users?

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:58 PM
  • There is a workflow action to use for granting or retiring permission - as you already know. But did you use it as in an inpersonation step? This is necessary because you need the permission of an administrator to manage all the user permissions.

I found an article about that:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/Roji.Joy/how-to-set-item-level-permission-using-sharepoint-designer-2/

Best regards

Sebastian

Monday, July 18, 2016 8:37 PM
  • Ah - and be careful by retiring the permissions for all users. You as an administrator need all those administrative permissions till the end of the workflow ...

Monday, July 18, 2016 8:39 PM
  • I have SP2007. Although I am now looking at similar things for 2007. 

Well... I kind of bounced and read around in mid post here. I don't see anything online that's really going to help me. I am dumbfounded that this is turning into such a ridiculously difficult issue. I don't understand why the workflow is not granting and then removing permissions as I state it should. 

I get that the context of the workflow is run as if by the person who starts it, but that is ridiculous. 

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:55 AM
  • I figured it out. Kind of by accident.

I noticed that all of the other functioning workflows for our site (I did not make them) all had attached .aspx in the workflow folder inside SPD. The .aspx has a data view on it and some code. Most of it appears to be some level declarative variable code. It redefines the ID into CustomID and does this with a couple other fields used on nearly every form/list.

I added the .aspx and data view, then changed the List Settings > Advanced Setttings > Read and Edit to All instead of the Only Theirs options.

This immediately fixed the entire issue. I haven't gone through this data view code yet, but I will.

I just wanted to come back here and say "Thank You, Sebastian" for your patience and help. I do appreciate it.

• Marked as answer by Kenderkenobi Wednesday, July 20, 2016 12:13 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:14 PM
  • I am glad to know that you could fix that problem and got a solution for your users! Please mark that thread as answered and if you have another problem don't hesitate to ask again.

Best regards

Sebastian

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 9:11 AM