none
Backwards compatibility ...

Question

• I am downloading VS Community 2015 ... once it is installed can I safely uninstall VS2010 and be able to access / update my applications that I have previously written in VS2010 ?

TIA :-)

Friday, December 18, 2015 10:55 PM

Answers

• Hi vodkasoda,

Thanks for your post.

>>Can I safely uninstall VS2010 and be able to access / update my applications that I have previously written in VS2010

Generally you can update the applications normally which created in VS2010 with sp1.

But some project templates which created in VS2010 are not supported directly in VS2015, so you’d better not uninstall the VS2010 directly . If possible you could use both VS2015 and VS2010.

Or I suggest you’d better open your projects in you VS2015 and try to build them.

Make sure they were able to be ran in VS2015.  Then you could uninstall your VS2010 if in need.

For the applications that you have written in VS2010 previously. If you want to open it in VS2015, please take a backup for this solution, and then you could refer to the following steps:

1. In Visual Studio, on the File menu, click Open and then click Project/Solution,
    2. In the Open Project dialog box, select a project file, and then click Open.

3. Complete the Visual Studio Conversion Wizard

Compile this project, check the result.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, December 21, 2015 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi vodkasoda,

Thanks for your post.

>>Can I safely uninstall VS2010 and be able to access / update my applications that I have previously written in VS2010

Generally you can update the applications normally which created in VS2010 with sp1.

But some project templates which created in VS2010 are not supported directly in VS2015, so you’d better not uninstall the VS2010 directly . If possible you could use both VS2015 and VS2010.

Or I suggest you’d better open your projects in you VS2015 and try to build them.

Make sure they were able to be ran in VS2015.  Then you could uninstall your VS2010 if in need.

For the applications that you have written in VS2010 previously. If you want to open it in VS2015, please take a backup for this solution, and then you could refer to the following steps:

1. In Visual Studio, on the File menu, click Open and then click Project/Solution,
    2. In the Open Project dialog box, select a project file, and then click Open.

3. Complete the Visual Studio Conversion Wizard

Compile this project, check the result.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, December 21, 2015 9:59 AM
  • Thank you, apologies for not replying sooner but whenever I clicked on reply over the past couple of days, nothing happened, it just redisplayed the same page with nowhere to type !!!

A good answer though, thanks again :-)
    Thursday, December 24, 2015 9:09 AM
  • Hi StellaMan,

Glad to hear that my reply is helpful to you.

If possible. Please mark the reply as the answer. It will benefit to other community members who have the same issue. It will be easier for them to search the solution.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, December 24, 2015 9:14 AM
  • Gladly, if I could see how !!!

It is marked as "Proposed as answer" by yourself, but there is no option for me to accept it as the answer, just to Reply, Quote or Report as abuse !!!

Thursday, December 24, 2015 9:37 AM