Data Driven App vs. Domain-Driven Design RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm still confused about the difference between "Data-Driven Applications" and "Domain-Driven Design (DDD)".

I read about DDD, both type of applications:
    - can have a layered design (Presentation, Business, Data, Service, ...)- can make use of design-patterns (e.g. Repository Pattern ...)
    - use POCO's

Domain-Driven Design is focusing on the domain layer and giving an approach to understand/"encapsulate" the business domain (rules, ...) of/in the to be implemented application. The implementation of this business domain is also done by classes/interfaces.

Can I sum this up by saying that in fact Data-Driven applications are based on POCO's without any business logic in them (anaemic model); whereas DDD has plenty of business logic in them?

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:45 PM

All replies

• I would disagree with that description. For me it's more about how you go about designing your components. They could end up with exactly the same implementation, although unlikely. Essentially one concentrates more about what is supposed to be happening with the components themselves in order to model the business domain, whereas the other concentrates on what data is needed and who/how to process it. It's a rough description but practically you might experience one over the other depending on your actual starting point. E.g. you have a huge investment in a SQL Server database, you'd be forgiven to wanting to lean toward data driven.

http://pauliom.wordpress.com

Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:37 AM