OT: BrowseEmAll available on BitsDuJour RRS feed

All replies

• Thanks Ian. I downloaded the trial and installed it and just briefly checked it out. The iphone viewer appears to work as well as the Electric Plum simulator I had been using. Will check it out a little more then probably get it.

pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Don't bother, Pat. I got it on a previous offer from BDJ, installed it, and tried it out on a client's site. It failed to display the site properly in its Chrome emulator, even though I could view the same site correctly in my local copy of Chrome. Granted, I don't need the BrowseEmAll Chrome emulator, since I have the actual program loaded locally, but the way I see it, if I can't trust that emulator, can I trust the others?

I uninstalled it.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Here is some of the actual communication with the company:

==========================

Hello,

Thanks again for trying BrowseEmAll.

Your trial period is about to end and I would like to hear what you think about BrowseEmAll. I know your time is valuable so, in exchange for your opinion (good or bad), I am offering you a 10% discount on all of your future BrowseEmAll purchases. Please reply to this email, it will only take a few minutes.

Best regards,
    Daniel Herken | BrowseEmAll

To which I replied:

What do you think about BrowseEmAll? [Scott] I think it doesn’t work. I tried it on one of my client’s sites, using the Chrome emulators, and it failed to display properly in any of them. Then I viewed the same site in the actual Chrome browser, and it displayed correctly. I have no use for a program to check my sites in that doesn’t display them correctly even when the actual browser being emulated does so. Uninstalled. (BTW, it wasn’t a trial; it was installed and activated.) I have no interest in any future purchases.

That was apparently not clear enough for them, because they then sent me a follow-up wondering if I might have accidentally unsubscribed from their mailing list:

> We have removed your email address from our list.
    >
    > We're sorry to see you go.
    >
    > Was this a mistake? Did you forward one of our emails to a friend, and
    > they clicked the unsubscribe link not realizing they were in fact
    > unsubscribing you from this list? If this was a mistake, you can re-
    > subscribe at:
    > Subscribe <http://browseemall.us4.list-
    > manage.com/subscribe?u=1dc5453ca2bb4ecf8de80ffa3&id=362006bf71>

To which I replied:

It was not a mistake. It was deliberate, intentional, and permanent. Your product fails miserably in its basic functionality, I have removed all traces of it from my machine, and I have no desire whatsoever to continue to receive communications from you. Kindly honor my removal request and desist in emailing me. Thank you.

Interesting product, if it worked. I had high hopes for it, but if it cannot even successfully emulate one of the most popular browsers in the market, and growing, I can't put any trust in its ability to emulate more esoteric browsers, which is what I mainly want it for, after all.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Thanks Scott. I do have all the browsers installed but only the latest ones and the ones that come with SuperPreview. Plus the iphone/ipad simulator which works good for me since I don't have either of those devices. Glad I waited.

pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Beware BitsDuJour. Good lord can they crank out the e-mails! They may offer the odd good price, but I had to unsubscribe due to the volume of useless mail.

Don't give them an address that you use much; give them your spam address. Yikes!

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:30 AM
  • Actually, I check them every day. I'm not sure why you're getting so many emails; they only send once a day ('du jour," as it were ;-), at least to me, and I've gotten several nice freebies from them. Not everything they offer free is worth having, but it's easy enough to hit delete after scanning each day's offerings, and you get that rare gem now and then that makes it worth the trouble.

Another thing, unlike the GiveAwayOfTheDay, which must be installed and activated on the day of the offer, the BDJ stuff can be installed and activated whenever you wish, on whichever machine you wish. You get the program and the activation code, and can transfer them wherever you want. Very rarely (only once in my experience so far), an app must be installed on the day of the offer, but that is by far the exception.

cheers,
    scott

Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:26 AM
  • Well, I was away on vacation for 2 weeks and doing inbox cleanup when the avalanche hit, so that might have influenced me. But I just don't have time to scan all that stuff evaluating what might be wheat at a great price from the very high percentage of chaff in each mailing.

YMMV. Mine did.

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:58 AM
  • "they only send once a day "

Gack.  That would be about 300 too many per year.  (Not a subscriber to that email!)

Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:47 AM
  • I've had a couple of useful items from BdJ so don't find a single email a day annoying.

As for BroweEmAll though, having tried it I'm not impressed. It has bug in launching Safari (which having reported am told will be fixed in a later release) and some oddities in working. 

I find Electric Plum a much better product.

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Web
    expression(web.blog)

Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:05 AM