Office 2007 default colour scheme change event RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've noticed that when one Office 2007 application has it's colour scheme/theme changed all other open Office 2007 applications change colour simultaneously. Is it possible to tap into the event that causes this to happen or in some way emulate the behaviour? We have User Controls hosted within Custom Task Panes and I would like them to change their themes to match Office automatically instead of, as at present, having to have the user refresh the control so it can read the value from the registry and update it's colour scheme to match (it does this on load).

Thanks,

Toby
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:09 AM

Answers

• Just as there's nothing in the object model that will let you control the colorscheme there's also no event in Office applications to tell you when this takes place.

When the user changes the color scheme a Registry entry changes. 

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Theme

I suspect it's possible to trap this over the Windows API, but I don't know whether the .NET framework supplies the interface for it, or not. If you don't know either <g>, try asking in the "Base classes" forum?

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:09 PM

All replies

• Just as there's nothing in the object model that will let you control the colorscheme there's also no event in Office applications to tell you when this takes place.

When the user changes the color scheme a Registry entry changes. 

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Theme

I suspect it's possible to trap this over the Windows API, but I don't know whether the .NET framework supplies the interface for it, or not. If you don't know either <g>, try asking in the "Base classes" forum?

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:09 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

Thanks for all of your answers. It turns out there is no way to capture this event so I just check the registry key you mentioned when my forms refresh.

Thanks again,

Toby
    Thursday, August 9, 2007 12:56 AM