Error during configuring distribution wizard RRS feed

• Question

• TITLE: Configure Distribution Wizard
    ------------------------------

An error occurred configuring SQL Server Agent.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

SQL Server blocked access to procedure 'dbo.sp_set_sqlagent_properties' of component 'Agent XPs' because this component is turned off as part of the security configuration for this server. A system administrator can enable the use of 'Agent XPs' by using sp_configure. For more information about enabling 'Agent XPs', see "Surface Area Configuration" in SQL Server Books Online.  (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15281)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=09.00.1399&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=15281&LinkId=20476

How do I solve this??

Thanks,

Frank

System Engineer

Friday, June 30, 2006 11:11 PM

Answers

• I think the solution is pretty clear inside the error message.  Did you have problems following the instructions?
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 1:49 AM
  • SQL Server 2005 Express does not have a SQL Server agent. Nor can it be configured as a distributor.

Exactly how are you attempting to configure it as a distributor?

From http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151819.aspx

• SQL Server Express cannot serve as a Publisher or Distributor. However, merge replication allows changes to be replicated in both directions between a Publisher and Subscriber.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:26 PM
Answerer

All replies

• I think the solution is pretty clear inside the error message.  Did you have problems following the instructions?
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 1:49 AM
  • The worst part, as with many of the error messages, the link in the error takes you to a "sorry no information is available about this problem". Don't know what broke in that process, but I have seen that exact page come up several times while checking alerts in MOM. I hope it is something that will be fixed soon because it seems pretty sad that a link in internal help provides "No Help".

Allen

Friday, September 8, 2006 6:38 PM
  • Please execute

The following shows the available options

USE master;

GO

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced option', '1';

RECONFIGURE;

EXEC sp_configure;

The following enables the Agent XPs

EXEC sp_configure 'Agent XPs', '1';

• Proposed as answer by M. AMIR Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:05 AM
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 3:56 PM
  • Hi,

Has anybody get the solution as I am getting the same error while installing sqlserver 2005 express on my window xp.

pls see below

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup

SQL Server Setup failed to execute a command for server configuration. The error was [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Cannot add functional unit 'sp_sqlagent_get_startup_info' to component 'Agent XPs'. This unit has been already registered with the component.. Refer to the server error logs and Setup logs for detailed error information.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.3042.00&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=29521&EvtType=lib%5codbc_statement.h%40Do_sqlScript%40OdbcStatement%3a%3aexecute_batch%40sysdbupg.sql%40107%40x3bff

BUTTONS:

&Retry
    Cancel

Thanks

Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:58 AM
  • SQL Server 2005 Express does not have a SQL Server agent. Nor can it be configured as a distributor.

Exactly how are you attempting to configure it as a distributor?

From http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151819.aspx

• SQL Server Express cannot serve as a Publisher or Distributor. However, merge replication allows changes to be replicated in both directions between a Publisher and Subscriber.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:26 PM
Answerer
  • try this :

Change the system date to cureent day

Monday, June 4, 2007 7:41 AM
  • Thank you very much Sergijko !.. For me, that was the solution !

Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:04 AM
  • This worked for me as well. Thank you very much!

Where did you find the solution? I was unable to find any information like that for this error until I found your post.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 6:44 PM
  •  

Renjith’s solution worked for me however I was trying to change the services from running under Local System to a domain account. I had to change the services back to Local System, then run the code, and then I could change the services to run under a domain account.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:31 PM
  •  

this solution is really useful for me. thanks
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 12:24 PM
  • ***, this works for me. I just set the date to the right time and installation finished without problems. My hero :-)
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:25 PM
  •  

thanks for your solution ....
    Friday, November 28, 2008 5:34 AM
  • It works for me as well!

Thanks

Friday, April 17, 2009 11:04 AM
  • thank you very much!! solved for me as well
    Friday, May 22, 2009 12:46 PM
  • Hi All, for what it is worth I was trying to install SQL Express and indeed my system clock was wrong now installed :) well done!
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 12:21 PM
  • try this :

Change the system date to cureent day

Great! Worked for me too (Old laptop lost the date & time)
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:52 PM
  • Thank u very much ... after changing system date to current date, it is working
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:20 AM
  • Hello  sergijko,

This solution worked for me, Thanks a lot! :)

-Gangadhar
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:53 PM
  • I have visited lots of website to fix it..finally you can follow the below instruction.I think it will help you..

There is a possibility for getting this error message due to incorrect
    date/time settings.
    What you can try is confirming that the date/time and time zone are set
    correctly and if not, then set them up accordingly.

i got this suggestion from this site...

Regards

Dreamkiller

Reference:http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/sql-server-setup/9972/SQL-Server-Setup-failed-to-execute-a-command-for-server

Sunday, September 5, 2010 4:59 PM